Pelham Memorial High School is a top rated, public school located in Pelham, NY. It has 881 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 96% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Pelham Memorial High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+84 Students
- A+75 Students
- A+68 Students
- A64 Students
- A-62 Students
- A+61 Students
- A-56 Students
- A+54 Students
- A-53 Students
- A+49 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 32 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.16 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.23 responses
Schools like Pelham Memorial High School
- A+Edgemont Junior/Senior High School
- Edgemont Union Free School District, NY
- 82 reviews
- A+Manhasset Secondary School
- Manhasset Union Free School District, NY
- 62 reviews
- A+Paul D. Schreiber Senior High School
- Port Washington Union Free School District, NY
- 206 reviews
- A+Greenwich High School
- Greenwich School District, CT
- 384 reviews
Pelham Memorial High School Reviews
A great small public high school and during my time there I was able to interact with interesting and engaging peers and students. However, the school did not prepare me well for college because there was barely any reading for classes. There is a huge divide in the student body between wealthier, white students and students within the community that struggle financially. If you don't take advantage of certain resources at the school you get stuck without a great support system from the student body/teachers. I know many students that would skip class regularly and the teachers wouldn't even bother to help them. As for the teachers, it really is a mixed bag; I had probably 5-7 teachers that had engaging classes. Other teachers did not care if you did your work and would put on videos the entire class because they had nothing better to teach.
I wasn't like the vast majority of kids who went to school in Pelham. Sure, I went to Pelham schools throughout my youth, but what separated me from everyone else was that I didn't live in Pelham. As someone who didn't live with everyone else, I still felt welcomed by the community and I honestly feel like I was more-so raised in Pelham than in my actual town. Most students are very nice, and the teachers are always more than willing to help you succeed, because that's their most important objective. What made my years in Pelham so special to me was the school's spirit. Every grade brings a new level of school spirit, and when everyone comes together, whether it's for homecoming or olympics, it just goes to show just how much everyone loves the community and how special of a town Pelham really is. That's what made me fall in love with Pelham.
Pelham Memorial High School is the classic medium to large sized public school that has set its standards very high in comparison to other public schools around the nation. The determination of the teachers to help the students is impeccable. But the problem is that the teachers are always required to have a minimum amount of homework, tests, or quizzes. Especially in the case of the language department where many times we would be faced with two to three assessments a week. Socially, if you play sports, and like to push your liver to the brink, you will have no problem feeling welcomed by other groups. Otherwise, you can easily feel unwelcomed because of the close-minded peers that you share the halls with.