Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesA-
- Health & SafetyB-
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Pekin Community High School is a public school located in Pekin, IL. It has 1,821 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 30% of students are at least proficient in math and 30% in reading.
Pekin Community High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C+228 Students
- B225 Students
- B+138 Students
- A+117 Students
- B88 Students
- B71 Students
- B+69 Students
- B-60 Students
- B47 Students
- B-46 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Schools like Pekin Community High School
- A-Washington Community High School
- Public School
- Washington, IL
- 129 reviews
- BDelavan High School
- Delavan Community Unit School District No. 703, IL
- 11 reviews
- B-Illini Bluffs High School
- Illini Bluffs Community Unit School District No. 327, IL
- 32 reviews
- B+Tremont High School
- Tremont Community Unit School District No. 702, IL
- 41 reviews
Pekin Community High School Reviews
PCHS welcomes every student with open arms. It's a small-town public school with less than ideal funding, but the teachers are highly qualified, relatable, and treat their students like family. The administrators work tirelessly to make PCHS a safe and effective learning environment. A dedicated group of volunteers (including many faculty and staff members) ensure that our student population, which is mostly below the poverty line, has their needs taken care of so that they can focus on their education. There are resources available everywhere; our school is fully 1:1 and our recently renovated library is phenomenal. Most teachers come early and stay long after the final bell to run extracurriculars and help students who are struggling, whether it be academically, socially, or emotionally. It's a family environment, and I couldn't possibly be more grateful.
Pekin Community high school has something for everyone. With some of the most broad extra curricular activities that will help make each and every student feel welcomed. Pekin also has a very large campus that sees nearly 2000 students every academic year. If you are from Central Illinois and feel as though it is time for change in your academic life, and you are capable of enrolling here, I would definitely suggest doing so. This school gave me limitless opportunities for 4 years, and is still there when I need them. Start off your career on the right foot, and find out who you really are.
I had to fight with Pekin sometimes to get the accommodations I needed as a hearing impaired student. The faculty were very understanding of me. Some of the sports were unfair though, like the football and baseball/softball teams. They were very arrogant of themselves. Otherwise, I had a pretty good high school experience. I was able to find my crowd of people and fit in with them. Those that didn't accept anyone who was different, I wouldn't hang out with. Pekin also had a tendency to overreact to certain situations, and not put more emphasis on the ones that really needed it. One time we went on lockdown because they speculated a customer at Dunkin Donuts next door had a gun, but they didn't seem to care too much about the car crashing into the school and ruining part of a building. Generally, going to Pekin was great. I loved my teachers and the faculty was nice.