Patrick Henry High School is an above average, public school located in Roanoke, VA. It has 1,965 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 73% of students are at least proficient in math and 78% in reading.
Patrick Henry High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+211 Students
- A+182 Students
- A171 Students
- B+166 Students
- B141 Students
- C124 Students
- B109 Students
- A-89 Students
- A+85 Students
- B+70 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 39 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.35 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.39 responses
Schools like Patrick Henry High School
- B-William Fleming High School
- Roanoke City Public Schools, VA
- 147 reviews
- BNorthside High School
- Roanoke County Public Schools, VA
- 157 reviews
- C+Eastern Montgomery High School
- Montgomery County Public Schools, VA
- 34 reviews
- A-Salem High School
- Salem City Schools, VA
- 229 reviews
Patrick Henry High School Reviews
There are some amazing teachers at PH that have really made high school a better experience. They made difficult courses tolerable and better to understand. These teachers helped me not only with academics, but they were there in times of need and support. Many can say the same about how supportive the Patrick Henry teachers are for their students. The band program at PH is amazing! We have 3 levels of band classes, jazz band, and the famous marching patriots. Band really brings people together like a family. We work hard and spread smiles everywhere we go. PH is always popping with school spirit with pep rallies, school plays, concerts, and spirit days. I have two years left at PH, but I already know it will be good.
Patrick Henry High School is unique in that it does have a very diverse student body. I have heard many stories from both of my two girls who have attended there and other students that are friends of my daughters that the food served in the cafeteria needs to be improved. I am proud to say though that the City of Roanoke does provide free lunch to all Roanoke City students, which is an excellent benefit to students who are in low income families. My main complaint about the school is the fact that the bathroom facilities are extremely poor and lack proper soap and private stalls that lock correctly for privacy. This issue has been unresolved since my oldest daughter attended this high school and graduated in 2012. As far as the education of my children by this school, I feel that most teachers would definitely get an A++ for their contribution to the education of my children.
Patrick Henry has provided me with the opportunity to grow as a learner, working member of society, community member, and friend. The school spirit that is shown throughout the school year brings about a sense of community, or as our school calls it, “PHamily”. The idea of coming together with those that we spend most of our time with is a concept that encourages students and faculty to continue to come to school eager to learn and build relationships. Additionally, I have always admired the school’s ability to react to adversity and change quickly and with grace. When tragedy hits our small community, the faculty creates a comfortable and safe environment for students to ease back into routine after things such as students passing away suddenly and classmates being diagnosed with cancer.