Palo Alto High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+302 Students
- A+241 Students
- A+235 Students
- A+235 Students
- A+229 Students
- A217 Students
- A209 Students
- A+143 Students
- A-136 Students
- A+132 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.32 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.32 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 112 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.31 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.48 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.48 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.48 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.52 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.52 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.52 responses
Schools like Palo Alto High School
- A+Henry M. Gunn High School
- Palo Alto Unified School District, CA
- 236 reviews
- A+Saratoga High School
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District, CA
- 131 reviews
- A+Los Altos High School
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District, CA
- 233 reviews
- A+Cupertino High School
- Fremont Union High School District, CA
- 340 reviews
Palo Alto High School Reviews
Good academics, rigorous coursework. However, it depends on the classes you take and the mindset that you have. Teachers are generally good and dedicated to their jobs, although not always interesting/insightful. Student culture can be a bit competitive/toxic at times, but it also depends on the people you associate with. Resources for mental health are growing, which is good for the students that have trouble with reconciling schoolwork and personal lives. Club presence on campus is fairly lacking, with only a few major clubs. Administration has made some questionable decisions. Access to Town and Country marketplace across the street, which is what many people do for lunch. In terms of diversity, there is a significant lack of non-Asian minority students, and a lack of socioeconomic diversity. In terms of college readiness, as a college freshman at an "elite" college, I feel that I have been over-prepared by Paly.
I went to Palo Alto High School, for four years, and I think that it's a great community. Big stress on academic readiness for colleges. Grades are dependent on which teacher you get. Counselors are there to support, but only if you approach them. There are small traditions like the senior deck or spirit week that make the school student culture great. With the construction of the new buildings, Palo Alto High School additionally provides a numerous amount of the latest designs and technology to assist its students in succeeding throughout their career in high school and to continue off into college.
Palo Alto High School (Paly) is a very accepting high school, full of talented and intelligent individuals. We have received lots of criticism in the past in regards to the competitive nature at our high school, but I believe that the teachers and administration are doing there best to support the students. All the teachers and administrators are very accessible and helpful, and they provide any support, academic or emotional, when needed. The competitive nature at our school arises from the students themselves because everyone is so motivated to succeed, so everyone is doing their best, be it in classes, athletics, or clubs. Another thing that surprised me was the amazing school spirit. Our football and basketball games have a decent student attendance, but regardless of the number of people in the crowd, the crowd still goes wild. Our spirit is especially portrayed during our spirit week where all the classes compete against one another.