Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A+
- Diversitygrade A
- Teachersgrade A+
- College Prepgrade A+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A minus
- Health & Safetygrade A minus
- Administrationgrade B+
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade A minus
Palo Alto High School is a top rated, public school located in Palo Alto, CA. It has 2,124 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 75% of students are at least proficient in math and 83% in reading.
Palo Alto High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A+531 Students
- grade A+443 Students
- grade A+431 Students
- grade A367 Students
- grade A365 Students
- grade A+364 Students
- grade A+333 Students
- grade A+253 Students
- grade B+248 Students
- grade A+226 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade D+
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade C
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
grade A minus
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 40 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 40 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 140 responses
- Spirit Week18%
- Seniors wearing camouflage15%
- Prom and Grad Night14%
- Senior cut day13%
- ...Spirit Week13%
- The Turkey Trot11%
- Senior no pants day5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 39 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 39 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 39 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 56 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 56 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 56 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade A minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$21,626 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 60 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 60 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 60 responses
Schools like Palo Alto High School
- grade A+Henry M. Gunn High School
- Palo Alto Unified School District, CA
- Rating 3.83 out of 5 304 reviews
- grade A+Saratoga High School
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District, CA
- Rating 3.93 out of 5 204 reviews
- grade A+Los Altos High School
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District, CA
- Rating 3.9 out of 5 314 reviews
- grade A+Cupertino High School
- Fremont Union High School District, CA
- Rating 3.78 out of 5 468 reviews
Palo Alto High School Reviews
Rating 3.94 out of 5 327 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Paly High is one of the most unique high schools in the nation. It is very academically focused, and pushes students to the next level. It opens doors for collegiate and career opportunities, and adequately prepares students for college. Although it is a great school, there is a toxic environment ever present on campus between students, as there are times when students view each other as competition and not classmates or friends. I personally enjoy sports over academics, so this school has been a unique experience, as I was new to the school my junior year. However notwithstanding, Paly High is a great school and I am proud to call myself a Viking. SKO VIKES!
The staff are pretty helpful, but sometimes it really just depends on the teacher. Super nice facilities, lots of space for all of the students, and really high tech equipment. Also! Spirit week is the highlight of every year, and they go all out, this school brings together all of the students and makes them all feel included. However, like every high school, there’s always going to be annoying kids, just try to keep your head up and be happy!
I am currently a senior at Palo Alto High School and have really enjoyed my experience so far. Before the pandemic, the school spirit was excellent and everyone was involved in the excitement of Paly pride. People are generally kind and the school is somewhat diverse. Currently, online school is great. There is a large amount of work required, however, the staff always put out surveys for students to complete so their voice can be heard so as a student, I feel that my voice matters. The teachers are always trying to improve and because of our school's access to resources, we are extremely lucky to have a generally positive experience online that includes a variety of different ways to learn. However, the academic pressure is difficult to handle for most at times, and the students are driven but can be too consumed with academic success. Overall, I have had a great experience.