Palo Alto High School is a top rated, public school located in Palo Alto, CA. It has 2,072 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 82% of students are at least proficient in math and 82% in reading.
Palo Alto High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+487 Students
- A+406 Students
- A+403 Students
- A348 Students
- A345 Students
- A+340 Students
- A+313 Students
- A+229 Students
- A-221 Students
- A+203 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.40 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.40 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 140 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.56 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.56 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.60 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.60 responses
Schools like Palo Alto High School
- A+Henry M. Gunn High School
- Palo Alto Unified School District, CA
- 290 reviews
- A+Saratoga High School
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District, CA
- 182 reviews
- A+Los Altos High School
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District, CA
- 304 reviews
- A+Cupertino High School
- Fremont Union High School District, CA
- 444 reviews
Palo Alto High School Reviews
Paly High is one of the most unique high schools in the nation. It is very academically focused, and pushes students to the next level. It opens doors for collegiate and career opportunities, and adequately prepares students for college. Although it is a great school, there is a toxic environment ever present on campus between students, as there are times when students view each other as competition and not classmates or friends. I personally enjoy sports over academics, so this school has been a unique experience, as I was new to the school my junior year. However notwithstanding, Paly High is a great school and I am proud to call myself a Viking. SKO VIKES!
Palo Alto highschool can be extremely intimidating at first. With so many affluent students and competitive classes, it can be hard to settle in right away. I will say though that once you find your place either in academics, clubs, sports, or just the right group of friends there really is no better school. It is arguably one of the most well-balanced schools in athletics and academics that also has an amazing sense of community and traditions. Being a student-athlete myself I can't think of better athletic facilities and coaching at the high school level especially for a public school. I highly recommend attending if you want to have a well-rounded high school experience with some of the best high school athletics, journalism programs, unique classes, and amazing academics all around. This is a school like no other with a tradition and student body that rivals all others. SKO VIKES
Overall, Paly is a great high school that will prepare all students for college, but still has a few minor issues. The teachers are dedicated and helpful, and there are many resources for mental health and college/career guidance. The sports teams are also of high caliber, with many teams ranking high statewide each year. However, the one main problem with Paly is the overwhelmingly competitive environment. Many students are high achievers with grand academic goals, and their peers are often pressured into committing to too many rigorous courses or extracurricular activities.