Palo Alto High School is a top rated, public school located in Palo Alto, CA. It has 1,993 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 87% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Palo Alto High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+385 Students
- A+319 Students
- A+315 Students
- A+280 Students
- A275 Students
- A+270 Students
- A270 Students
- A+181 Students
- A-171 Students
- A+168 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.35 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.35 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 120 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.51 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.51 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.55 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.55 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.55 responses
Schools like Palo Alto High School
- A+Henry M. Gunn High School
- Palo Alto Unified School District, CA
- 259 reviews
- A+Saratoga High School
- Los Gatos-Saratoga Joint Union High School District, CA
- 156 reviews
- A+Los Altos High School
- Mountain View-Los Altos Union High School District, CA
- 261 reviews
- A+Cupertino High School
- Fremont Union High School District, CA
- 398 reviews
Palo Alto High School Reviews
Palo Alto High School has great facilities and a lot of very cool classes and opportunities; the most notable of these is probably our Glassblowing program. The campus is located in a great place, but the proximity to Stanford makes a really weird environment. Town & Country is a great place to get lunch and it's very convenient, but be careful about spending too much money. Also, the Palo Alto High School culture is pretty toxic, and there are a lot of questionable things about our school.
Good academics, rigorous coursework. However, it depends on the classes you take and the mindset that you have. Teachers are generally good and dedicated to their jobs, although not always interesting/insightful. Student culture can be a bit competitive/toxic at times, but it also depends on the people you associate with. Resources for mental health are growing, which is good for the students that have trouble with reconciling schoolwork and personal lives. Club presence on campus is fairly lacking, with only a few major clubs. Administration has made some questionable decisions. Access to Town and Country marketplace across the street, which is what many people do for lunch. In terms of diversity, there is a significant lack of non-Asian minority students, and a lack of socioeconomic diversity. In terms of college readiness, as a college freshman at an "elite" college, I feel that I have been over-prepared by Paly.
The teachers of Palo Alto High School ate very welcoming and kind to every student. They attend to the specific needs of each student and give their full attention and care to each individual. They are also very good at communicating with their students reguarding assignments, re-takes, and etc.. They put in a lot of effort to relieve stress for the students. Overall, the teachers of Palo Alto High School make the high school experience for many students much better.