Owego Free Academy
- OWEGO, NY
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade A
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B+
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade C
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade B+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Owego Free Academy is an above average, public school located in OWEGO, NY. It has 599 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
Owego Free Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus57 Students
- grade C+42 Students
- grade A minus24 Students
- grade B+23 Students
- grade B minus21 Students
- grade A+20 Students
- grade A minus20 Students
- grade B minus20 Students
- grade B20 Students
- grade A19 Students
Map is loading
View Homes Near Owego Free Academy
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B+
- Good for Familiesgrade A minus
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 5 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 4 responses
- OFA Cafe50%
- Spirit Week25%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 5 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$27,122 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 8 responses
Schools like Owego Free Academy
- grade BWaverly High School
- Waverly Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.9 out of 5 29 reviews
- grade C+Newark Valley Senior High School
- Newark Valley Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.83 out of 5 71 reviews
- grade A minusMaine-Endwell Senior High School
- Maine-Endwell Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.82 out of 5 119 reviews
- grade BSpencer-Van Etten High School
- Spencer-Van Etten Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.58 out of 5 84 reviews
Owego Free Academy Reviews
Rating 3.66 out of 5 59 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I personally had a good experience in high school because of my close-knit graduating class (2019). However, the only good part about the academics at that school were the teachers. The administration group are some of the most selfish and greedy people I’ve ever came in contact with. They only care about making more money and will fire some of the best teachers for it. I did not feel prepped for college at all except for what I learned from my teachers, mostly because of their policies designed for them to get a boost in money. I will say that I have heard that the school is doing an excellent job with dealing with the virus and online classes, but again that is the work of the teachers. OFA has a beautiful library with an amazing librarian and I hope they keep it rather than turning it into a military recruitment center like rumored. If you plan on spending the rest of your life involved with music, OFA’s music program is excellent and will surely prepare your for that future.
Owego is a great small town school. The classes are small which allows for attention to each student and encourages their involvement outside of the classroom in extracirriculars. The faculty truly care about their students and want them to succeed. The school is evolving with the times, incorporating technology into the classroom and boasting a STEAM classroom focusing on sciences and new lab materials. The sports teams are small due to the size of the school yet compete with large schools in the area. The music department is strong - producing signers, musicians and plays with great success. With a strong history, the Owego community is proud of their school and their students.
There is very little diversity in every aspect. People tend to prioritize being decent at sports than anything else. Most people leave confused about what they want because of the lack of preparation your leaving with. There are some great teachers and people, but overall it’s eh. If you want to be successful there isn’t gonna be any support there.