Oakwood High School is a top rated, public school located in Dayton, OH. It has 740 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+166 Students
- A-119 Students
- A117 Students
- A97 Students
- A-90 Students
- A-44 Students
- B-44 Students
- A+35 Students
- B29 Students
- A+28 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.19 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
Schools like Oakwood High School
- ABellbrook High School
- Bellbrook-Sugarcreek Local School District, OH
- 150 reviews
- ASpringboro High School
- Springboro Community City School District, OH
- 286 reviews
- A-Tippecanoe High School
- Tipp City Exempted Village School District, OH
- 160 reviews
- A-Beavercreek High School
- Beavercreek City School District, OH
- 365 reviews
Oakwood High School Reviews
As an alumni, I would say my overall experience at Oakwood was great. A majority of the teachers I had were engaging and enthusiastic about the material they were teaching. Some examples include, but are not limited to: Matt Deters, Brian Martin, Connie Abner, Brooks-Hedstrom, Amy Ostdiek, Fred Schmitz. These teachers go out of their way to help students-- whether it focuses on school material or just life advice in general. Some other teachers.. Not so much. Albeit, when applying to colleges, I felt that the guidance department didn't exactly give a damn about you unless you were "gifted" or in the running to become Salutatorian or Valedictorian. Kind of a shame average students get put on the back burner. Overall, the academics were challenging but engaging as well-- I've already applied some of the knowledge from my AP Comparative Government class in real life scenarios. Cool!
It’s a really great school, you’re definitely getting a good education here. From my experience there is next to no bullying or harassment but I never really felt like I fit in with anyone there. I have had nothing but positive experiences with teachers and I feel very college ready in terms of class set up and such. This is definitely a place where people move to just to have their kids go to school here. It has a good rep for a reason.
I loved the feeling a small, tight-knit community and everyone at the school. There are not many school districts in which you get to know almost every teacher and student in the building. It is always a pleasure to have a conversation with a teacher and ask questions. All of the teachers are very kind and helpful, especially when you are struggling or need help with classes. There have even been times when I have gone to past teachers and was able to get help with a current class.