Oak Park & River Forest High School is a top rated, public school located in Oak Park, IL. It has 3,296 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 3296 to 1. According to state test scores, 56% of students are at least proficient in math and 65% in reading.
Oak Park & River Forest High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+437 Students
- A+343 Students
- A-273 Students
- B+256 Students
- A+243 Students
- A+199 Students
- B+194 Students
- A185 Students
- A165 Students
- A-159 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.51 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.51 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 174 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.65 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.65 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.65 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.90 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.90 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.90 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.102 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.102 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.102 responses
Schools like Oak Park & River Forest High School
- A+Hinsdale South High School
- Hinsdale Township High School District No. 86, IL
- 169 reviews
- A+James B. Conant High School
- Township High School District No. 211, IL
- 472 reviews
- A+Rolling Meadows High School
- Township High School District No. 214, IL
- 402 reviews
- A+North High School
- Community High School District No. 99, IL
- 286 reviews
Oak Park & River Forest High School Reviews
I really loved my high school experience. I have been awarded so many opportunities. I have the opportunity to take a broad range of electives and languages and to participate in a broad range of clubs and sports. The teachers have higher education degrees and the school has excellent academics. Because my school is in such a diverse community (located just outside of Chicago), I am able to meet all sorts of people with interests similar to mine! Because my school is in such a diverse community, everyone's needs and interests are taken into consideration. Discussions regarding race are encouraged and intolerance is quickly dealt with. The people are kind, and because the school is so diverse, there are little-to-no cases of bullying. As mentioned before, I really enjoyed my high school experience and would recommend it to others.
While Oak Park and River Forest High School put forth a lot of focus on academic and college preparedness, they could use more attention to promoting equality and safe spaces for the other 40%, minorities that occupy the rest of the school's population, of their student body. As a recent alumni of this institution, I will say that throughout my four years there it progressively got worse socially. There were many incidents whether it was daily microaggressions from older teachers to a student putting on blackface to tenured teachers muttering racially insensitive words any many more incidents to recount.
Oak Park and River Forest High School (OPRF) is an amazing school with many opportunities (clubs, sports, academics, etc.). There are around 3,200 students. The building is from 1907. Students can join over 70 different clubs covering all sorts of topics. They can try out for every type of sport or join an intramural sport. They can also take many types of classes that fit their interests and abilities. OPRF even has different options for gym class that range from strength training to world dance. OPRF also offers AP and honors level classes as well as regular. Most of the teachers are good and helpful to their students but there are some that are tired of teaching. The teachers are paid a lot, especially ones that have tenure, and so they sometimes stop caring. There are issues with race and how students of color aren't pushed to take honors classes. The school is taking steps towards making a more equal curriculum in the next couple of years.