Northwestern High School is a public school located in West Salem, OH. It has 407 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Northwestern High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-30 Students
- B22 Students
- A+21 Students
- B-20 Students
- A-18 Students
- B16 Students
- B11 Students
- A-9 Students
- A-9 Students
- A-8 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they feel safe at their school.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.Take our survey
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.8 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.6 responses
Schools like Northwestern High School
- BClinton-Massie High School
- Clinton-Massie Local School District, OH
- 124 reviews
- B+Norwayne High School
- Norwayne Local School District, OH
- 63 reviews
- C+Black River High School
- Black River Local School District, OH
- 53 reviews
- B+Ashland High School
- Ashland City School District, OH
- 189 reviews
Northwestern High School Reviews
The school has a lot of quality teachers that are able to teach information that is important for state tests as well as the future, including with being ready for college. That being said, I feel that the school puts to much into its STEM program since their are not that many students actually interested in this career path. Another disappointment was the annulment of the French program when the French teacher retired. Instead of hiring a new teacher, they killed the program despite some students' efforts to halt this. Strangely enough, they cannot hire a new French teacher, but they can keep two Spanish teachers hired. Other than that, it is a decent school.
Some of the best parts of this school are the teachers, programs, and courses within the school. Teachers are involved with their classes and students, assisting them to the best of their abilities, and they teach classes to allow students to digest the material. While not possessing any honors or AP courses, the school offers a wide range of CCP courses to allow juniors and seniors to accumulate numerous hours to carry to college. In addition, there are a variety of programs within the PLTW Biomedical and Engineering programs. However, there are a limited number of clubs which do not cover some realms of interests such as gaming. The school is not diverse, for it is mainly made up of white students and faculty. It could also do with some repairs considering the air conditioning system as there are a few particular rooms in this small school which become freezing cold. Although I have not tasted the high school lunches myself, I have no interest in trying it.
It is a very good school with all the teacher being invested to help you no matter what. Lots of the kids there are very nice, and it feels like you have a family. I’m in the band, so we are a family because we work together to create great performances. Wether it be on the field during a half time show or on the stage during concert band we put our all in to the performances. So I would highly recommend this school to any one looking to move in to the district or wanting to send ur kid to school here.