Northwest High School is a public school located in Jackson, MI. It has 899 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 26% of students are at least proficient in math and 54% in reading.
Northwest High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- C-191 Students
- B+186 Students
- A179 Students
- B116 Students
- A+98 Students
- B+96 Students
- B94 Students
- B-92 Students
- B-57 Students
- B57 Students
Living in the Area
- Cost of LivingA-
- Good for FamiliesB-
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 39 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.26 responses
Schools like Northwest High School
- C+Concord High School
- Concord Community Schools, MI
- 55 reviews
- CVandercook Lake High School
- Vandercook Lake Public Schools, MI
- 42 reviews
- BWestern High School
- Western School District, MI
- 301 reviews
- BHanover-Horton High School
- Hanover-Horton School District, MI
- 110 reviews
Northwest High School Reviews
My experience with Northwest high school was a decent one in the education department. I believe that they have a good idea of what they want to strive for in the development of students education and career choice. My reasoning for marking at an average experience is due to the athletics here, they are not up to par with a school of this size. The coaching staff in my time being involved with the school seems as if though they are not in the betterment of the school but more for people whom they want to succeed personally. My athletic career was greatly affected by how the coaches here held personal grudges against the athletes and refused to play athletes because they never gave them a chance to develop and grow from their mistakes as humans do. In conclusion the school is a wonderful place to go for an education and staff who seem like they care about their students well being and their success in the school.
Northwest High School is overall a good school. I love the community and how their input is taken when making decisions. We come together for community events and I think that is very awesome. There are some staff members, that I think need to be taken care of because of their behavior with students. Our music program is very well known and we have a great music program. The school prepares us for college and what is ahead for our future. There is bullying that goes on in the school and some doesn't get taken care of. I love the different kinds of sports we have at the school and how we support each sport. The clubs are very diverse and students can have the chance to do what they love. I think Northwest is a good school, but some things just need to change.
Northwest has grown and evolved in the past few years. New facilities brought us almost up to par with the bigger schools in the mid-Michigan area. Sports at Northwest are extremely important, yet somehow lackluster in comparison to the amazing band/choir programs. In addition to this, the curriculum and quality of education leave something to be desired, but have certainly improved by leaps and bounds since my first year at the high school. Connections with the Jackson Area Career Center, AIS, and the newly established STEM Class are perfect for helping students in our rural area achieve success in trades. Altogether, Northwest may not be the best school around, but it’s certainly getting closer to the top.