grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B minus
- Diversitygrade B
- Teachersgrade B
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade B+
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade B minus
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B minus
Northwest High School is a public school located in Jackson, MI. It has 961 students in grades 8-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 26% of students are at least proficient in math and 54% in reading.
Northwest High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A249 Students
- grade B+232 Students
- grade C minus227 Students
- grade B167 Students
- grade B+142 Students
- grade A+133 Students
- grade B minus129 Students
- grade B minus125 Students
- grade B minus76 Students
- grade B70 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B minus
- Housinggrade B
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 40 responses
- Marching Band20%
- Spirit week20%
- Schools Rule that is brodcasted by New 610%
- Soccer Camp, Band Camp, Jazz Band, and NHS5%
- Vocal Dimension retreat5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 24 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$10,136 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 27 responses
Schools like Northwest High School
- grade C+Concord High School
- Concord Community Schools, MI
- Rating 3.74 out of 5 57 reviews
- grade CVandercook Lake High School
- Vandercook Lake Public Schools, MI
- Rating 3.11 out of 5 44 reviews
- grade BWestern High School
- Western School District, MI
- Rating 3.7 out of 5 315 reviews
- grade B minusHanover-Horton High School
- Hanover-Horton School District, MI
- Rating 3.83 out of 5 115 reviews
Northwest High School Reviews
Rating 3.7 out of 5 196 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Northwest is home to me. It is a place I feel so comfortable in, and if I had a choice, I'd stay forever if I could. High school is one of the best experiences a kid goes through and it is something that I looked forward too since I started school. Although my senior year was not supposed to go like this, Northwest is working hard to make it the best they can just like they do with everything else. Northwest provides a wonderful staff who dedicates all of their time to us kids, and we students are beyond grateful for them, without them we wouldn't be who we are today. My school made everyday a good day, everyone was close and we all feel like a family. No, this may not be the senior year we wanted, but I am making a promise to myself to make sure I strive this year and make the best of the situation. Northwest, I sincerely thank you for providing so much, a great education, and a family. I know I'll always be welcome back. Forever I will be a Mountie.
I think that we are better off than most schools. Our campus is good, the teachers and staff are kind. We are most known for our exemplary arts program including band and choir. However, I wish that more attention was given to our other programs with lots of potential, like the tennis team/courts. The other part of my critique is that the students can be not-very-accepting, or bigoted.
My experience with Northwest high school was a decent one in the education department. I believe that they have a good idea of what they want to strive for in the development of students education and career choice. My reasoning for marking at an average experience is due to the athletics here, they are not up to par with a school of this size. The coaching staff in my time being involved with the school seems as if though they are not in the betterment of the school but more for people whom they want to succeed personally. My athletic career was greatly affected by how the coaches here held personal grudges against the athletes and refused to play athletes because they never gave them a chance to develop and grow from their mistakes as humans do. In conclusion the school is a wonderful place to go for an education and staff who seem like they care about their students well being and their success in the school.