Northwest High School is a public school located in Jackson, MI. It has 906 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 26% of students are at least proficient in math and 54% in reading.
Northwest High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A219 Students
- B+212 Students
- C-206 Students
- B139 Students
- A+120 Students
- B+119 Students
- B-115 Students
- B106 Students
- B-64 Students
- B61 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 40 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.24 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Schools like Northwest High School
- C+Concord High School
- Concord Community Schools, MI
- 56 reviews
- CVandercook Lake High School
- Vandercook Lake Public Schools, MI
- 42 reviews
- BWestern High School
- Western School District, MI
- 311 reviews
- BHanover-Horton High School
- Hanover-Horton School District, MI
- 112 reviews
Northwest High School Reviews
My experience with Northwest high school was a decent one in the education department. I believe that they have a good idea of what they want to strive for in the development of students education and career choice. My reasoning for marking at an average experience is due to the athletics here, they are not up to par with a school of this size. The coaching staff in my time being involved with the school seems as if though they are not in the betterment of the school but more for people whom they want to succeed personally. My athletic career was greatly affected by how the coaches here held personal grudges against the athletes and refused to play athletes because they never gave them a chance to develop and grow from their mistakes as humans do. In conclusion the school is a wonderful place to go for an education and staff who seem like they care about their students well being and their success in the school.
I have never been to another school so I can't speak for other schools but Northwest is a great school. I love the teachers and the experience the school gives to students. However, as a Career Center student, I am not as informed as I would like to be. As a senior in high school, I now have due dates of when things should get done for college like FASFA, college applications, and etc. I honestly have no idea as of what to do for college and the schools plans for the College and Career Access Center lady to come during focus time when I have to eat lunch and leave for Career Center. I just feel excluded from a lot of things that go on in the school. I am not the only one who complains about this. I have to work after school and a lot of the time I cannot work on my college stuff after school. I feel like the school just has poor planning; especially for the Career Center students.
Northwest truly cares about their students and goes out of their way to show this. They are inclusive to all types of students and make sure there are groups and activities for all. The music programs are also fantastic and consistently receive superior awards. I have gone to Northwest my entire life and year after year have never felt unsafe or uncomfortable at my school. The teachers and administrators go out of their way to build connections with the students and every student has at least one staff member they know they can rely on. Northwest has treated me great the last 12 years and it will be a bitter-sweet goodbye when I graduate.