grade B minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C+
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B minus
- Health & Safetygrade C
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade C+
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
Northumberland High School is a public school located in Heathsville, VA. It has 414 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 77% of students are at least proficient in math and 72% in reading.
Northumberland High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A56 Students
- grade B+56 Students
- grade B55 Students
- grade B+51 Students
- grade B+41 Students
- grade A+41 Students
- grade B40 Students
- grade A+36 Students
- grade B minus32 Students
- grade C+29 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade unavailable
- Good for Familiesgrade unavailable
- Housinggrade unavailable
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 4 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 4 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 9 responses
- Homecoming game44%
- Spirit Week22%
- Pep rallies11%
grade A minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 5 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 6 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade B minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$13,616 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 8 responses
Northumberland High School Reviews
Rating 3.83 out of 5 47 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Northumberland High School is an excellent school. The building itself is impressive. The courses, clubs and activities, events, and sports offered meet a variety of levels and interests. The academics provided assist students into developing into mature, well-rounded individuals- ready to set and achieve their goals. The administration leads the school in establishing an environment where learning is guaranteed. Personally, my daughters enjoyed their science classes the most. The teachers' level of instruction and the presentation of science content motivated my children. I am proud to say that my daughters are graduates of Northumberland County High School.
Coming from a small school that houses about 400 students total comes with its perks. Everyone knows everyone so there are rarely any times when anyone is left out. The teachers, staff, and coaches truly care about the students and want the best for them. The community is tight-knit and provide us with amazing opportunities. Not only are our sports programs quite successful at the Virginia High School League 1A Division, but our academic programs are superb. Our school provides us students with amazing opportunities such as AP courses and Dual Enrollment courses that partner with our local community college. I cannot imagine my high school experience anywhere else and I will forever be thankful for the experiences that Northumberland High School gave me. Indian pride forever!
More challenging academics, wide spread and class specific(More AP options but also just holding standard classes to a respectable amount of rigor. More encouraged involvement of students in clubs. Lunches that the students will actually eat and not just throw away(one guy actually broke his tooth of eating the school lunch). Treat school as an academic and growth oriented place instead of a time to just discipline students. Discipline is important, but when it comes down to sending a student out of their most difficult class because they were tardy does not seem effective.