Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade A
- Diversitygrade B+
- Teachersgrade A
- College Prepgrade A
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A+
- Health & Safetygrade A+
- Administrationgrade A
- Sportsgrade A+
- Foodgrade A
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade A+
Northern Valley Regional High School - Old Tappan is a top rated, public school located in Old Tappan, NJ. It has 1,170 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 60% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
Northern Valley Regional High School - Old Tappan Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A224 Students
- grade A+171 Students
- grade A minus136 Students
- grade A+133 Students
- grade A116 Students
- grade A+115 Students
- grade B103 Students
- grade A99 Students
- grade A+97 Students
- grade A+94 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade C minus
- Good for Familiesgrade A+
- Housinggrade C+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 20 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 66 responses
- Football games21%
- Senior Prom18%
- THE HIGH SCHOOL PLAY17%
- Rival/Sister School Thanksgiving Football Game8%
- High School Play6%
- Whoosh Squad at Varsity volleyball6%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$43,659 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 35 responses
Schools like Northern Valley Regional High School - Old Tappan
- grade A+Northern Valley Regional High School Demarest
- Northern Valley Regional High School District, NJ
- Rating 3.69 out of 5 185 reviews
- grade ANanuet Senior High School
- Nanuet Union Free School District, NY
- Rating 3.65 out of 5 105 reviews
- grade AWestlake High School
- Mount Pleasant Central School District, NY
- Rating 3.8 out of 5 138 reviews
- grade ARiver Dell Regional High School
- River Dell Regional School District, NJ
- Rating 3.81 out of 5 175 reviews
Northern Valley Regional High School - Old Tappan Reviews
Rating 3.78 out of 5 237 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Northern Valley Regional High School is a very good school. There is a lot of diversity among the students. The teachers, staff, and administration are all very friendly and you can easily get along with some of the teachers. The clubs, activities, and sports are all super fun and amazing and if you join them, you will be able to build strong relationships and unbreakable bonds with some of your friends, teammates, and coaches. The teachers are always there to support you and are always there for you before school and after school. The food at this high school is also very great! The menu changes every day and the quality and taste of the food is actually very good. There are also vending machines in the hallway. There are pep rallies, competitions, talent shows, musicals, and other super fun events to get the school spirit going. Everyone is excited about them every time. Northern Valley High School at Old Tappan is a great and safe place for students to have the perfect education.
Northern Valley Regional High School in Old Tappan is a great school! I am a senior now and I can happily say that my past 4 years in the school system have been very beneficial to me and my future academic career. The teachers and other staff members care very much about the students and helping them. Personally I have experienced a lot of life changes, and through it all, I was always able to find a support network in my school, between my close teachers, guidance counselor, and even the vice principal. I highly recommend attending this school if possible, for academic, athletic, and support purposes. NVOT does a great job of taking care of their students.
Academically, NVOT is pretty good, and there's a lot of emphasis on sports and other extracurriculars; however, sometimes this emphasis is too much and frustrating for people who aren't athletic. NVOT doesn't have much diversity, and most teachers avoid discussing topics about minorities like black history, LGBTQ+ rights, and religious aspects aside from Christianity. This is invalidating for people of these communities that don't have much or any representation. The school is also not very accommodating for mental health issues and is quick to kick students out to be externally evaluated even when they do not express that they are a danger to themselves or others.