Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC
- Clubs & ActivitiesC+
- Health & SafetyB
- Resources & FacilitiesB
North Fayette Valley H. School is a public school located in West Union, IA. It has 306 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 11 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 77% in reading.
North Fayette Valley H. School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A58 Students
- B+46 Students
- A29 Students
- B25 Students
- B23 Students
- B22 Students
- B-20 Students
- A16 Students
- B16 Students
- A-15 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.6 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.6 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 18 responses
- Participating in fine arts17%
- Speech and Drama17%
- Cheerleading, when we get to cheer11%
- Chorus, volleyball, golf, and drama11%
- Combining for the first year and winning teams11%
- Golf, Chorus, and watching football playoffs11%
- Wrestling, and football11%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.12 responses
Schools like North Fayette Valley H. School
- B-Sumner-Fredericksburg High School
- Sumner-Fredericksburg Community School District, IA
- 58 reviews
- B+South Winneshiek High School
- South Winneshiek Community School District, IA
- 51 reviews
- B-Turkey Valley Junior/Senior High School
- Turkey Valley Community School District, IA
- 8 reviews
- C+John R. Mott High School
- Postville Community School District, IA
- 11 reviews
North Fayette Valley H. School Reviews
The majority of the teachers at North Fayette Valley genuinely care about their students. They work hard to do their best to make sure everyone feels like they can ask questions when they need to. There have been a lot of changes in the administration since last year, and so far, I think that the new superintendent and high school principal have done a good job making and enforcing policies. With Covid-19 making a large impact on everyday life, the administration and teachers have been working hard to keep students healthy, safe, and in school.
There are very few collage and AP classes available, and they are only available to upperclassmen and advanced students. The administration enforces new changes without explaining them to the students or parents, and punishments are not equal to the offense -- you can get suspended for brining in fast food, but if you get caught drinking, the worst thing to happen is that you'll only be illegible for about 60 days. Instead of supplying the kids with better computers, the school built a second gym which isn't even tornado-safe. The grading system has been changed recently, and not all of the teachers are on the same page, which means that there is lots of confusion, which impacts rolling GPA and collage grades. The administration does little to tend to students questions, and concerns from the community are often left unresolved.
The only real thing great about the school is the fact that they have a great music, art, and drama program. Other than that, the school does not value different ethnicities or its student's in general. The teachers that teach there are hypocritical. No one actual prepares you for college except for the guidance counselor. The only thing anyone actually cares about in the school is football. Nothing else.