North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics is a top rated, public school located in Durham, NC. It has 680 students in grades 11-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 7 to 1.
North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+125 Students
- A+87 Students
- A+77 Students
- A+41 Students
- A+34 Students
- A+33 Students
- B+33 Students
- A+33 Students
- A+29 Students
- A+28 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.5 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.5 responses
North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics Reviews
North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics, or NCSSM as is called by alumni and students who currently attend, is an excellent boarding school in terms of the opportunity it presents young residents of North Carolina who truly want to challenge themselves and want an experience outside of what they know. Although it is a STEM school, it has an amazing Humanities/Arts department as well, that paired with the amazing faculty and staff is truly a knockout! They have amazing resources and tools that students can use for college prep and general hobby exploration, there are 100+ clubs on the campus, and their counseling department/clinic is always made readily available; its amazing that there's no payment to be made on the students part as well.
NCSSM is the most amazing school! The classes can be tough, but they are really interesting, and the professors really care about their students. There are so many opportunities to be involved in and out of class through athletics, clubs, research internships, academic competitions, community service, and more. The school really pushes students to be our best and develop ourselves as leaders. I love living on the residential campus, and Durham is a fun town to be a part of.
The North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics has wonderful opportunities for junior and senior high school students, whether via residential or online courses. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and feel like it has provided me opportunities I wouldn't otherwise have and help me feel more prepared for college!