Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepC
- Clubs & ActivitiesC-
- Health & SafetyC+
- Resources & FacilitiesC-
Nitro High School is a public school located in Nitro, WV. It has 783 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 62% in reading.
Nitro High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-197 Students
- A-160 Students
- C80 Students
- B51 Students
- B-36 Students
- C+33 Students
- C29 Students
- A-26 Students
- A+26 Students
- B+21 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.25 responses
Nitro High School Reviews
Nitro was an average school, mostly like all of the other schools I have been to. Most of the teachers that I have encountered are willing to help you and want to see you succeed but some other teachers are just there for the paycheck. The teachers that are there for the paychecks can make your high school experience really bad. I have had some complications with the office staff but the majority of my experiences were good. As for my counselor, I did not have many good experiences at all. I got told incorrect information quite a few times and when I was confused and trying to get help with something, I got snapped at when I did nothing wrong.
Nitro High School is a great school in some aspects. What needs to be changed in the school is the administration's relationship with the students. The administration need to care more about non-athlete students and stop taking the top-tier students for granted, and treat them like they treat the athletes. The facilities need to be updated. The school needs a new ac and other small changes. Other than that for the most part Nitro is a good school, where I have met good people and made lasting relationships.
Nitro High School had a positive student community, where there was little bullying and support for classmates and students at other schools. Although the academics could have been better through more AP classes and more preparation for college, the teachers that taught the AP classes taught the students to love learning. Nitro did lack diversity and culture, but there was little discrimination towards the students that were from a different culture. The sports teams generally excelled and the extracurriculars offered contributed to the success of many students. Overall, I enjoyed my time at Nitro.