Niskayuna High School is a top rated, public school located in Schenectady, NY. It has 1,382 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 98% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Niskayuna High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+86 Students
- A76 Students
- A+75 Students
- A+69 Students
- A68 Students
- A+65 Students
- B+48 Students
- A+47 Students
- A-47 Students
- A47 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.22 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.22 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 69 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.34 responses
Schools like Niskayuna High School
- A+Bethlehem Central Senior High School
- Bethlehem Central School District, NY
- 178 reviews
- A+Shaker High School
- North Colonie Central School District, NY
- 95 reviews
- AGuilderland High School
- Guilderland Central School District, NY
- 221 reviews
- A-Clayton A. Bouton High School
- Voorheesville Central School District, NY
- 37 reviews
Niskayuna High School Reviews
Niskayuna High School was an amazing experience full of opportunity. However, being located in an area of mostly higher-middle class/upper-class families with low levels of diversity felt a bit overwhelming at times. There were times when I felt I did not fit in. However, my teachers were always there for advice and support and willing to help with anything. The academics are great and prepared me for college, I never had a hard time keeping up with my nursing school curriculum after graduation.
My four years at Niskayuna High School were easily the best four of my life thus far. The only problem that people have with it is that the students are extremely competitive, which isn't necessary a bad thing. The teachers cannot get much better; they truly care about their students, and they definitely prepare kids for college and beyond. Niskayuna sends kids to top schools year after year, and they create some of the world's most successful scientists, businessmen, etc. The sports team consistently do well, but there is still a slight lack of school spirit surrounding sports. Very few high schoolers will cry on their final days of high school, but I did which I think shows how much I loved it there and how much it meant to me.
Most of the teachers here are really engaging and if you approach them, very helpful. There are a few teachers that make me wonder how they are still working here, but a lot of them really love their jobs and the students, and are good at what they do. The teachers do go above and beyond state standards with the curriculum and can be very demanding of students, even at the regents level and especially at the AP and honors levels, but this is always proves to be helpful overall in the end, as a Niskayuna student will test way higher than the average student at public high schools in New York. The percentage of kids graduating and going onto college is more than 90% which is really great too. And that all starts with the teachers! (That, and the fact that many students have engineers as parents)