Niskayuna High School is a top rated, public school located in Schenectady, NY. It has 1,407 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 99% of students are at least proficient in math and 98% in reading.
Niskayuna High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+111 Students
- A+111 Students
- A-97 Students
- A+95 Students
- A82 Students
- A+81 Students
- B+72 Students
- A+69 Students
- B69 Students
- A-68 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 70 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.31 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Schools like Niskayuna High School
- A+Bethlehem Central Senior High School
- Bethlehem Central School District, NY
- 190 reviews
- A+Shaker High School
- North Colonie Central School District, NY
- 123 reviews
- AGuilderland High School
- Guilderland Central School District, NY
- 233 reviews
- A-Clayton A. Bouton High School
- Voorheesville Central School District, NY
- 44 reviews
Niskayuna High School Reviews
I have been within the Niskayuna Central School District since kindergarten, so there is a lot to say. My experience at Niskayuna has been good. There are always things that I wish were different, but to say I hate everything they have to offer would be a lie. To start with the good, Nisky always provides good resources and areas for students to work. Niskayuna specifically prides itself with how high our academic standing is and it’s not wrong. I love that we have so many clubs and activities for us to join that there are almost an overwhelming amount of choices. To discuss the bad things, I wished we had more diversity and for some teachers to be better prepared. I’ve had great teachers, but I’ve also had a decent amount of teachers who I felt were unprepared or couldn’t help me. I just wish Niskayuna could better prepare some of their teachers. Through every experience I’ve had at Niskayuna, I can say I’m glad to be here anyway and I have received a very good education.
I met some of the best people I know at Niskayuna High School, however many of my teachers were far from amazing. There was a real problem with the Spanish department in general, where the teachers either hated kids or just really didn't know how to teach. Many teachers in other departments had the same problem which made me not particularly eager to learn, since it seemed like the teacher didn't care if we actually passed. One english teacher I had was particularly unsettling, as he decided it was a good idea to write a teen vampire romance series, and then force his senior year students to listen to him talk about it for a day. The administration was also sketchy, as the principle literally broke the law and recruited student athletes for money on the side.
Niskayuna is a great school with rigorous academics. Although it can be all consuming and competitive at times, that’s not necessarily a bad thing considering the amount of educational opportunities available and the preparation for college. Teachers are mostly friendly, especially the social studies department. School spirit is not a priority or very prevalent at all. Lots of clubs to join, however many students are only part of a few. There aren’t many opportunities for exchanges and foreign language trips. Overall one of the better schools in the capital region.