Newtown High School is a highly rated, public school located in Sandy Hook, CT. It has 1,679 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 66% of students are at least proficient in math and 89% in reading.
Newtown High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-303 Students
- A+96 Students
- B-93 Students
- B+92 Students
- A+91 Students
- A88 Students
- B84 Students
- A+80 Students
- A+73 Students
- A+69 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.38 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.38 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.44 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.65 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.65 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.64 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.70 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.70 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.70 responses
Schools like Newtown High School
- AMasuk High School
- Monroe School District, CT
- 191 reviews
- A+Fairfield Warde High School
- Fairfield School District, CT
- 253 reviews
- ATrumbull High School
- Trumbull Public Schools, CT
- 523 reviews
- A+Amity Regional High School
- Amity Regional School District No. 5, CT
- 314 reviews
Newtown High School Reviews
I had a great time at Newtown High School. I am a current alum and sophomore at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY. The academics were excellent and I had very good relationships with my teachers. My math and computer science teacher was a big influence on me to continue my education in computer science and specialize in the field of Artificial Intelligence. The only shortcomings were some bad experiences with sports coaches/ how the teams were run and a change in the administration after a principal, that the entire student body greatly admired and respected, left the district and Newtown received a new principal.
The academics were excellent. For the most part, all my teachers were very knowledgeable and helpful. The counseling department did a very good job guiding me through the college process, and I feel confident in the education I received. I always brought lunch from home, so this didn't really affect me, but I know that the cafeteria food was awful all around. Few lunches went by without someone complaining at least once. Newtown was always very good with sports, and students were always enthusiastic about home football games. I think it was harder than it needed to be to start a club, and there were a few to many restrictions on them.
The school isn't very diverse and the students are very cliquey. The food in the cafe is overpriced and not very good. Sometimes they don't even have food by the time third wave rolls around because they are afraid of making too much. The teachers are very kind and understanding and do well in preparing students for college. And because of our location, we are very safe; there is always a security guard present. Basically, to sum it up, the students aren't very good but the education aspect is better than average.