Newtown High School is a highly rated, public school located in Sandy Hook, CT. It has 1,738 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 41% of students are at least proficient in math and 66% in reading.
Newtown High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-288 Students
- B+89 Students
- A+86 Students
- B-86 Students
- A+80 Students
- A80 Students
- B77 Students
- A+71 Students
- A+69 Students
- B63 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.36 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.36 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.42 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.63 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.63 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.62 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.68 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.68 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.68 responses
Schools like Newtown High School
- AMasuk High School
- Monroe School District, CT
- 179 reviews
- AFairfield Warde High School
- Fairfield School District, CT
- 240 reviews
- ATrumbull High School
- Trumbull Public Schools, CT
- 509 reviews
- A+Amity Regional High School
- Amity Regional School District No. 5, CT
- 311 reviews
Newtown High School Reviews
The academics were excellent. For the most part, all my teachers were very knowledgeable and helpful. The counseling department did a very good job guiding me through the college process, and I feel confident in the education I received. I always brought lunch from home, so this didn't really affect me, but I know that the cafeteria food was awful all around. Few lunches went by without someone complaining at least once. Newtown was always very good with sports, and students were always enthusiastic about home football games. I think it was harder than it needed to be to start a club, and there were a few to many restrictions on them.
What I liked about Newtown High School is that most of the teachers and staff are really down to Earth and want the students to succeed. A lot of them understand what it is like to be a high school student and want to make the experience more enjoyable while still making it challenging. What I would change about NHS is the strict rules that don't serve any purpose. There are some rules, such as not being able to walk around the school during free periods unless you are a senior, not being able to leave early or come in late if your schedule allows it unless you are a senior, or the overall closed-campus policy where we can't leave and come back during school hours even if our schedule allows it, where they aren't really put in place for a reason and do not serve a great purpose.
The teachers where always available to help and helped to create relations between the students. Amazing school spirit! Not to much to be changed, school was a wonderful experience!