Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesA-
Newton South High School is a top rated, public school located in Newton Centre, MA. It has 1,911 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 96% of students are at least proficient in math and 99% in reading.
Newton South High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A383 Students
- A+345 Students
- A+244 Students
- A+221 Students
- A+217 Students
- A+212 Students
- A+160 Students
- A+131 Students
- A-130 Students
- A126 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.37 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.37 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 76 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.45 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.52 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.52 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.52 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.55 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.55 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.55 responses
Newton South High School Reviews
I really enjoy attending Newton South High School. All of the teachers I have had the honor of learning from are amazing and the school culture is great! The school is very welcoming for any incoming students every year. I am proud to be part of this community. Newton South offers many extracurricular opportunities, and I have even had the chance to start my own charity service club! Academically, I can confidently say that Newton South is exceptional. With many honors and AP classes offered for any subject, I have had the chance to explore many different topics and interests of mine. So far, I have had the best experience attending Newton South.
The school has prepared me very well for college and I find enjoyment in most of my classes. I have gotten 10 years worth of stress in 4 years...but I guess I'm prepared for college! In all seriousness, I find that most of the teachers are very well qualified, enthusiastic, and eager to interact with their students. The administration, on the other hand, is quite passive regarding any student complaints. The food is definitely not good in any way; when I was there, South had pipe burst issues, rat infestation issues, and wifi issues. Considering the amount of tax money the Newton county provides to the schools and considering the state of Newton North High School, I think the health and safety standards could definitely be improved. Overall, as a student, I feel as though I had a variety of very well educated teachers from a variety of backgrounds that were able to widen my view on all topics and matters.
I like how all the teachers at this school is open to feedback and is willing to help out the students also support them. I like how there are so many subjects and classes you can choose from! There are various different types of arts, music, and other programs to choose. There also a lot of clubs and sports to choose from that matches with your personality!