Newton Senior High School is an above average, public school located in Newton, KS. It has 1,032 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 11% of students are at least proficient in math and 25% in reading.
Newton Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B-146 Students
- A106 Students
- A90 Students
- B64 Students
- B+54 Students
- B+47 Students
- B43 Students
- B-34 Students
- B28 Students
- B25 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.15 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.15 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 47 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.23 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.24 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.24 responses
Schools like Newton Senior High School
- BMoundridge High School
- Moundridge Unified School District, KS
- 49 reviews
- B+Valley Center High School
- Valley Center Public Schools, KS
- 110 reviews
- B-Burrton Middle/High School
- Burrton Unified School District, KS
- 10 reviews
- C+Peabody-Burns Junior/Senior High School
- Peabody-Burns Unified School District, KS
- 3 reviews
Newton Senior High School Reviews
Newton Senior High School is a school that lacks in administrative support and is paired with a community that really couldn't care less. The town itself is relatively reluctant to support the school and this leads to new students having little to no respect for the school itself or the people that go to it. Behavioral issues are significant here due to a lack of responsibility that each student feels and administration can either do nothing to solve that or does very little to find a solution. The only redeeming qualities of NHS is a dedicated teaching staff, and if you're able to find the right people, a fantastic social atmosphere. There are worse high schools than the run down facility that is NHS, but there are also a mulitultide of schools that do better.
I spent all four years of high school at Newton High and found it to be a good school that readied me for college. But there was a downside: lots of money was wasted on sports programs (even the consideration of creating a third gymnasium) when the auditorium which had to be used by Band, Orchestra, Jazz, Choir, and Theater was barely holding up on its own and had to be shared with all sorts of school organizations. On top of that, academic excellence wasn't quite as well paid attention to as was the athletic aspect of the school. The district needs to change its priorities and realize that all students matter, not just ones involved in sports.
I Iove all that there is a variety of options of classes to take and the activities/sports but I wish we had more options like lacrosse or Dance even. I go to school here and enjoy that a lot of the teachers love to switch up things like instead of having tests making us write essays or doing projects instead. A lot of teachers that I’ve had like to incorporate life lessons which I think is awesome!