Newington High School is an above average, public school located in Newington, CT. It has 1,269 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 41% of students are at least proficient in math and 66% in reading.
Newington High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A243 Students
- B-181 Students
- B-104 Students
- B91 Students
- B-84 Students
- B-67 Students
- B53 Students
- B52 Students
- A+47 Students
- A42 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.31 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.31 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Schools like Newington High School
- B+Wethersfield High School
- Wethersfield School District, CT
- 187 reviews
- B+Bristol Central High School
- Bristol School District, CT
- 138 reviews
- B+Plainville High School
- Plainville School District, CT
- 96 reviews
- C+Bloomfield High School
- Bloomfield School District, CT
- 126 reviews
Newington High School Reviews
Newington High School is a positive and nurturing school environment. I feel continuously challenged with my classes and feel that the current administration cares greatly about the student body. There are a wide variety of clubs and activities to get involved with, whether you are athletic, artistic, or otherwise. They take pride in keeping the school clean and providing resources such as laptops, a Student Assistance Center, and a Peer Tutoring Club. We also have a great counseling department and school psychologist/social worker available to students if needed. I feel like I have had a great overall experience these last 4 years at NHS!
Newington High School is a good school. Location wise, the traffic is really bad getting into and out of school since it is built on such a busy road in Newington. The education is really good, majority of teachers care about what they are teaching. There are obviously some outliers to some teachers who just go there to get paid and don't really care about their attitudes or what they're putting out. The sports and clubs here are great too and they adequately prepare you for college.
Academically the school is very good, but the students aren’t exactly the best. Personally, i took my academics very seriously but many other students do not and being in the environment can be challenging. Overall, student support from teachers is good, but counselor involvement in college readiness is relatively limited.