Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade A minus
- Teachersgrade B+
- College Prepgrade B+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade B
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade B minus
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade C
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
Newington High School is an above average, public school located in Newington, CT. It has 1,310 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 47% of students are at least proficient in math and 75% in reading.
Newington High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A298 Students
- grade B minus214 Students
- grade B minus121 Students
- grade B115 Students
- grade B minus103 Students
- grade B84 Students
- grade A+70 Students
- grade B70 Students
- grade B68 Students
- grade A51 Students
Living in the Area
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B minus
- Good for Familiesgrade A minus
- Housinggrade B minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 21 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 74 responses
- Spirt Week18%
- Pep rally16%
- Senior Prank Day7%
- Spirit Week7%
- Spring Musical7%
grade A minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 34 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 34 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$21,241 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 38 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 38 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 38 responses
Schools like Newington High School
- grade B+Wethersfield High School
- Wethersfield School District, CT
- Rating 3.71 out of 5 207 reviews
- grade B+Bristol Central High School
- Bristol School District, CT
- Rating 4.15 out of 5 162 reviews
- grade B+Plainville High School
- Plainville School District, CT
- Rating 3.85 out of 5 104 reviews
- grade CBloomfield High School
- Bloomfield School District, CT
- Rating 3.3 out of 5 139 reviews
Newington High School Reviews
Rating 3.77 out of 5 208 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
Overall my experience at Newington High School was really great! I was involved in sports, clubs, and the people. Everything was always run good. The teachers are caring about their students and how we academically are. Even when our school/town was hit with the pandemic. The high school has taken it very seriously with rules and making sure us as students are always safe. Sure, there are some flaws like the food. But there are more positives then negatives!
My school presented me with many opportunities to get involved and interact with my peers. I was able to join clubs ranging from gardening to student government while also being able to participate in athletics. The teachers were mainly good and I learned a lot from them. The history department has by far the best faculty, but Terra Tigno, the principal of Newington High School was amazing. She was so involved and cared about her students and she made you feel welcomed and important. The only thing I would speak out against was the hall monitors and the constant wearing of ID's and if you lost yours they would charge you money which did not seem fair.
I am currently a senior at newington high school, first off I'd say the academic opportunity here is great, they prepare students for college well and offer a variety of AP courses and unique electives to sample a wide variety of fields. I think the school is certainly more diverse than the town its in, and there is a mix of students from both racial and economic backgrounds. The teachers for the most part are very helpful and there is a decent amount of sports and clubs to get involved in. I would say the school is pretty safe, we have both security and police officers at the school which can sometimes be overbearing. Something the school should change is helping struggling students more, there are so many resources for kids who are succeeding to help with college but I think more should be done to help kids who feel discouraged by school and are struggling to succeed. The biggest plus of Newington High is the wide scope of unique and challenging courses.