COVID-19 Update for Prospective Students and Families:
Newark Academy’s administrative team, led by Head of School Donald M. Austin, is monitoring the ongoing transmission of COVID-19 in the United States and abroad. The school is referencing several, credible sources, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, in order to make informed decisions to protect the health and safety of students. Learn More
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA+
Founded in 1774, Newark Academy strives to provide students in grades 6-12 with the knowledge, skills character and creativity to prepare them to contribute meaningfully to their communities and the world. While Newark Academy has undergone myriad changes over the past 244 years, today NA’s mission remains true to our founding values. Our mission is lived out on a daily basis through personal interactions between outstanding teachers and curious students; through inspiring coaches and competitive student-athletes; through dedicated mentors and the young men and women who seek their guidance. As the only independent school in New Jersey offering the International Baccalaureate program, NA offers students high academic standards and an innovative, forward-looking curriculum within a warm and welcoming community.
Newark Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+74 Students
- A+73 Students
- A+66 Students
- A+55 Students
- A+53 Students
- A+52 Students
- A+50 Students
- A+48 Students
- A+48 Students
- A+47 Students
LUMEN: The Magazine of Newark Academy, Winter 2019
LUMEN is Newark Academy's alumni magazine, highlighting recent and upcoming events, featuring current students, and teachers as well as NA alumni news and notes.
Culture & Safety
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.15 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.15 responses
Clubs & Activities
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.10 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.10 responses
Newark Academy Reviews
It is striking how little school spirit there is, almost no kids attend sporting or cultural events, example two years ago NA tried to have a winter sports homecoming event, less then half a dozen kids showed last year they did not bother.
The community is diverse, and some racial and ethnic tensions arise , from which the school is ill-prepared to manage. A couple of years back during an event celebrating America a student brought a “do not tread on me” flag, this understandably offended some students, as oppose to addressing the issue properly school’s reaction was to cancel the event the following year.
The bright spot is the academic quality of the kids, most are very hard workers and there is a culture of academic excellence.