Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepA+
- Clubs & ActivitiesA
- Health & SafetyA+
- Resources & FacilitiesA
New Canaan High School is a top rated, public school located in New Canaan, CT. It has 1,284 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 78% of students are at least proficient in math and 89% in reading.
New Canaan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A154 Students
- A+129 Students
- A+127 Students
- A+106 Students
- A+96 Students
- A+86 Students
- A+83 Students
- A+81 Students
- A+81 Students
- A+81 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.13 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.13 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.26 responses
Schools like New Canaan High School
- A+Weston High School
- Weston School District, CT
- 142 reviews
- A+Rye High School
- Rye City School District, NY
- 79 reviews
- A+Byram Hills High School
- Byram Hills Central School District, NY
- 106 reviews
- A+Blind Brook High School
- Blind Brook-Rye Union Free School District, NY
- 52 reviews
New Canaan High School Reviews
I really like New Canaan High School because of its positive learning environment, variety of options for courses, and dedicated teachers. The students are relaxed and pleasant, making going to school both fun and educational. There are multiple different levels of difficulty for almost all courses (such as Honors and AP classes), and there are many different choices for electives, spanning from woodworking to fashion merchandizing. Finally, the teachers are all very dedicated to their work, focused on improving the educational environment of their students, and widening knowledge of their respective topics. Overall, New Canaan High School is a great place to learn.
New Canaan High School is an excellent high school in the safe and supportive town of New Canaan, Connecticut. The administrators and staff are always committed to helping students and supporting them to the best of their efforts. NCHS provides students with a wealth of resources and extracurricular opportunities and graduates classes well-prepared for college and future endeavors. As a school community, the culture at NCHS is addictive. Whether through pep rallies, school-wide assemblies, or large sporting events, one can always find members of the staff and student body supporting athletes and coaches on and off the fields. In addition, the arts are encouraged and appreciated through art shows and displays throughout the school. While NCHS is somewhat secluded and limited in its diversity within its student population, students are inclusive and kind to all. Ultimately, New Canaan High School is an excellent place that supports all students and faculty and all are treated well.
The past four years at New Canaan High School have been really great. I have taken a multitude of classes that I've loved being challenged by the rigorous load. I have had so many great teachers who've made themselves available in times when I've needed extra help or needed to talk about an issue. I was fortunate enough to have so many resources at my fingertips. As Editor in Chief of my schools' yearbook, my school had a whole computer room of mac computers loaded with the adobe suites package. Overall I would say that there is a lack of diversity at my school. And there is a lot of pressure to succeed and to go off to a great college which at times is overwhelming but I think that to an extent the pressure makes students work harder to be at their best.