New Canaan High School is an elite, public school located in New Canaan, CT. It has 1,250 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 68% of students are at least proficient in math and 81% in reading.
New Canaan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-103 Students
- A+88 Students
- A+86 Students
- A+79 Students
- A+71 Students
- A-67 Students
- A+65 Students
- A+63 Students
- A+63 Students
- A+59 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.10 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.10 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 33 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.23 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.23 responses
Schools like New Canaan High School
- A+Weston High School
- Weston School District, CT
- 119 reviews
- A+Rye High School
- Rye City School District, NY
- 61 reviews
- A+Byram Hills High School
- Byram Hills Central School District, NY
- 104 reviews
- A+Blind Brook High School
- Blind Brook-Rye Union Free School District, NY
- 43 reviews
New Canaan High School Reviews
I have loved my experience at NCHS starting on day one of entering the main building. The staff and students are helpful, the teachers want you to try your hardest, so they encourage and motivate you to push yourself academically. They also love to hear about their student's outside activities/extracurriculars they are involved with. Overall, a great atmosphere surrounds NCHS!
New Canaan High School has great academic resources if you are motivated and or smart enough to take advantage of them. It gives you the platform to get into any college that you want just like a private/boarding school does. Sports here are very dominant, especially lacrosse and football, with much of the accolades being given to athletes with little focus on students' academic accomplishments. The social scene here is very cliquey and it's ostensible if you just look around the caffeteria. Cheating on assignments and tests is pretty rampant here and although some teachers will be strict on that type of behavior, most look the other way; looking to keep their high-quality college matriculation churning. You'll have your pothead burnouts, but the stereotypical people here are taking AP classes, aiming for a top-tier college, all while being all FCIAC on a sports team, while hooking up and binge drinking on the weekend in their happily complacent parents' basements.
The teachers were all very supportive and understanding with the exception of a couple. Otherwise, my teachers were all very personable and I got to know most of them well. Every morning, my high school administrators wait outside (no matter the temperature or weather) to greet everyone. They always truly cared how everyone was feeling every single day. The food in the cafeteria ("The Lounge") was delicious. There were many different options for every student to choose from and the options were changed up most days. The staff in the cafeteria was also so nice and they always had a smile on their faces. My principal, Bill Egan, has been the most amazing principal. He gets to know all of his 1200+ students by name and knows many of them personally. I think the school has benefitted incredibly from Mr. Egan taking the position of Head Principal.