New Bern High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+120 Students
- A105 Students
- A+83 Students
- B-77 Students
- B+66 Students
- B+52 Students
- A-50 Students
- A+41 Students
- B+41 Students
- B+25 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.20 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.20 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.37 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
New Bern High School Reviews
Review New Bern High School
Throughout my high school career, I have taken only honor and AP courses. The teachers within these courses are great at their jobs and show dedication and support. However, I have sometimes heard the opposite about the teachers who teach regular courses. I have received excellent grades in each of my classes which tells you something about the teachers. They're great!
Overall the school itself is not bad but there is a lot of drama that happens. In the past four years I have seen a lot of fights and have been in a real lock-down because one of the students was suspected of having a gun, but it was only a long-board. The sanitation in the school is sorely lacking, the bathrooms can be absolutely disgusting because they are not cleaned all that often, and many of the stalls are missing locks. The school has a problem with people trying to have sex everywhere. The administration can be good if you go to the right person but some of the administrators do not care at all. For example on of my classmates was threatened by another girl, where the girl was saying that if she did not give her $200 that she would fine her and hurt her. Well my classmate went to one of the administrator, and the administrator just told her to ignore it, and did not do anything to help her.
I have had a lot of great experiences at this school, and if I could do it all over again, I would still follow the same path. My great experiences all started my sophomore year when I joined color guard in the marching band. That really gave me that high school experience of a lot of friends, drama, football games, and just so much fun. I also joined the first winter guard in my high school. My color guard coach mentioned what winter guard was, so my team decided to create it. Winter guard and color guard in general is the best experience in all of my high school years. I had many life lessons from it: team work, working hard to reach your goal, and to tough. When times get rough, you have to stay tough. Another great experience in high school was creating a club with my classmates from my dance class. We created a ballroom dance club, because we all wanted to learn how to ballroom dance. Surprisingly, many others wanted to as well! This made us so happy, because we didn't expect a huge turn out. I made so many friends from that class! Making this club taught me to go after what I really want. To sum up all of my high school years, it was and still is currently great. Although I would never change the choices I have made, I do wish I joined color guard my freshman year instead of my sophomore year.