Mt. Vernon High School is an above average, public school located in Fortville, IN. It has 1,227 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 39% of students are at least proficient in math and 71% in reading.
Mt. Vernon High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+241 Students
- A224 Students
- A+186 Students
- B-105 Students
- B91 Students
- A-87 Students
- B+64 Students
- B60 Students
- C+44 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.26 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.32 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.34 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.34 responses
Schools like Mt. Vernon High School
- B+Pendleton Heights High School
- South Madison Community School Corporation, IN
- 214 reviews
- B+New Palestine High School
- Southern Hancock County Community School Corporation, IN
- 255 reviews
- B-Greenfield-Central High School
- Greenfield-Central Community Schools, IN
- 218 reviews
- BEastern Hancock High School
- Eastern Hancock County Community School Corporation, IN
- 45 reviews
Mt. Vernon High School Reviews
This school is the definition of totalitarianism. Censorship on chromebooks is to the max, teachers are strict, uncaring, and unengaged. There is a distinct lack of basic classes, and extracurriculars are bone-dry and poorly funded. Mostly all of our time in class is focused on doing well on standardized tests and not about actually learning things. Administration is shady. I'd love to go into much more detail, but when I tried my text was 700 characters above the limit. Bottom line: DO NOT CHOOSE MT. VERNON!
I've attended Mt. Vernon since kindergarten and my experience has been wonderful! This community has great teachers who engage with their students, genuinely care about them and their education, and inspire their students to do better and to be better. Every year more and more students come to Mt. Vernon, so it can be a bit crowded, but other than that it's a great educational environment.
Not much diversity. Started in Kg with Mt Vernon schools and over the years the diversity has increased but still along way to go. As a bi-racial young lady it can be uncomfortable at times. Especially when learning about American History and the topic of Slaves and treatment of African Americans is briefly touched on. Not many clubs for minorities. 2019 Prom was first time a minority was on the Prom Court, which gives me hope that things are slowly changing in a positive direction.