Mount Vernon High School is a highly rated, public school located in Mount Vernon, IA. It has 417 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 87% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Mount Vernon High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A55 Students
- A42 Students
- B+37 Students
- B-27 Students
- A-24 Students
- B21 Students
- B+17 Students
- A12 Students
- B12 Students
- A-11 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 11 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Schools like Mount Vernon High School
- A-Marion High School
- Marion Independent School District, IA
- 80 reviews
- B-Lisbon High School
- Lisbon Community School District, IA
- 22 reviews
- B+Prairie High School
- College Community School District, IA
- 232 reviews
- A-Solon High School
- Solon Community School District, IA
- 73 reviews
Mount Vernon High School Reviews
Mount Vernon High School is an interesting High school. There is not a really great diversity, but everyone is very welcome. There are people who are racist, but they don't say anything rude to people of a different race. The teachers are very nice and can be helpful, sometimes. The school may address that it is college ready, but I can tell you that it is not. Students can take college courses at the community college, but there are not many AP courses that are taught at the school. Mount Vernon is a great school, but there should be a few changes to the courses.
Walking into Mount Vernon High School was scary at first, but teachers and staff welcomed me full heartedly. Going to this school, students don't only learn about academics they learned how to be we rounded individuals. The only thing that I would want more of is diversity. I would love to have more minorities at our school. Mount Vernon has such a positive environment, it was such a good high school experience.
Mount Vernon high school is full of very good teachers who actually prepare their students for college success. There is also a lot of support given to students who choose to be involved in numerous extracurricular activities. The teachers and faculty want to see their students succeeded and offer resources to student in order for them to do so, in their futures.