Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A34 Students
- A29 Students
- B+26 Students
- B-20 Students
- B14 Students
- A13 Students
- B+12 Students
- A+9 Students
- B8 Students
- B+8 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Schools like Mount Vernon High School
- B+Marion High School
- Marion Independent School District, IA
- 70 reviews
- BLisbon High School
- Lisbon Community School District, IA
- 19 reviews
- B+Prairie High School
- College Community School District, IA
- 204 reviews
- A-Solon High School
- Solon Community School District, IA
- 68 reviews
Mount Vernon High School Reviews
Review Mount Vernon High School
I am currently attending my fourth year at Mount Vernon High School and I must say that my overall experience here has been pretty great. Mount Vernon provides its students with endless opportunities to get out into the real world, try new things, and discover their passions. I particularly love our dual enrollment program because I'm not only finishing up my high school credits, I'm getting a head start on my college credits as well. Because of this program I feel truly ready for full time college and I also feel like I am one step closer to where I want to be in my future. However, our school could defiantly use some upgrading. Not only do the students here excel in academics, but they excel in sports as well. Unfortunately, our practice fields/gyms/auditoriums do not at all reflect our immense passion and pride in who we are. We strive for greatness at MVHS and we deserve a place to practice and perform that is just as great as we are.
Most of the teachers have a solid foundation of knowledge for the subject they are teaching. As a school we get to participate in several different activities and project that make the learning more enjoyable and more memorable. Everyone of the teachers include some form of technology in their daily teachings. This could include movies, PowerPoint, Prezi, and document cameras. The use of technology mixes things up and keeps students engaged. Another great thing about the teaching style at Mount Vernon is that teachers don't just lecture the entire class period. Many times games, worksheets, and discussion make up a majority of the lesson plan.
The best thing about the clubs and extracurricular activities is the fact they are so diverse. There are clubs for just about everything and they all do very well in competitions. There is Tennis, volleyball, baseball, softball, soccer, swim team, basketball, cross country, cheer leading, and track for our athletics. We have student counsel, prom committee, thundering herd, student ambassadors, newspaper, yearbook, archery, theater, tech, musicals, and so much more. There is something for everyone.