Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesB+
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Mount Vernon High School is a highly rated, public school located in Mount Vernon, IA. It has 425 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A80 Students
- B+56 Students
- A53 Students
- B-39 Students
- A-32 Students
- B32 Students
- A-23 Students
- B19 Students
- B18 Students
- B17 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 11 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Schools like Mount Vernon High School
- B+Marion High School
- Marion Independent School District, IA
- 84 reviews
- B-Lisbon High School
- Lisbon Community School District, IA
- 22 reviews
- BPrairie High School
- College Community School District, IA
- 240 reviews
- B+Solon High School
- Solon Community School District, IA
- 77 reviews
Mount Vernon High School Reviews
Overall, Mount Vernon is a very good school. This can be seen in our test scores, our well-rounded performance in sports and the fine arts, and in the large amount of students who chose to open enroll here every year. Mount Vernon is a great school not only for it's academics, but for the values that are instilled in us. It's rare to find a student in the high school who isn't multi-involved (often in sports and fine arts) working at least one job, and volunteering for several organizations and causes. We also excel because of our teachers, who (overall) are strong and passionate. The small size of the school really allows for one-on-one help for those who want it. Despite the school's strength, there are things that need to change. The main issue with Mount Vernon is diversity. You can count the number of students of color on your hands, and we only have 1 staff member of color, who is a softball coach. I am the only Asian womxn in my high school, and it's been kind of isolating.
A fantastic learning environment with friendly, encouraging teachers. Interesting main courses with plenty of electives and extra curriculars to spice things up. Absolutely wonderful theater selection, and near perfect association with the fine arts.
Mount Vernon High School is an interesting High school. There is not a really great diversity, but everyone is very welcome. There are people who are racist, but they don't say anything rude to people of a different race. The teachers are very nice and can be helpful, sometimes. The school may address that it is college ready, but I can tell you that it is not. Students can take college courses at the community college, but there are not many AP courses that are taught at the school. Mount Vernon is a great school, but there should be a few changes to the courses.