Mount Vernon High School is a highly rated, public school located in Mount Vernon, IA. It has 392 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A41 Students
- A34 Students
- B+30 Students
- B-21 Students
- A17 Students
- B16 Students
- B+13 Students
- A+11 Students
- B10 Students
- B+10 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.5 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.5 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.8 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.8 responses
Schools like Mount Vernon High School
- B+Marion High School
- Marion Independent School District, IA
- 71 reviews
- BLisbon High School
- Lisbon Community School District, IA
- 19 reviews
- B+Prairie High School
- College Community School District, IA
- 217 reviews
- A-Solon High School
- Solon Community School District, IA
- 69 reviews
Mount Vernon High School Reviews
Mount Vernon High School has been one of the best experiences in my life. I'm very grateful that I got to attend such a nice school. Mount Vernon is the perfect size, it is big enough that you don't feel boxed in, but also small enough that you know everyone in your grade and can make friends with all of them. One thing I would change is the chances given to young musicians. To participate in playing your instrument in the musicals you have to work hard at convincing the teacher to let you, because they like to just hire professionals, so I would change that so young musicians would get more opportunities.
I am currently attending my fourth year at Mount Vernon High School and I must say that my overall experience here has been pretty great. Mount Vernon provides its students with endless opportunities to get out into the real world, try new things, and discover their passions. I particularly love our dual enrollment program because I'm not only finishing up my high school credits, I'm getting a head start on my college credits as well. Because of this program I feel truly ready for full time college and I also feel like I am one step closer to where I want to be in my future. However, our school could defiantly use some upgrading. Not only do the students here excel in academics, but they excel in sports as well. Unfortunately, our practice fields/gyms/auditoriums do not at all reflect our immense passion and pride in who we are. We strive for greatness at MVHS and we deserve a place to practice and perform that is just as great as we are.
Most of the teachers have a solid foundation of knowledge for the subject they are teaching. As a school we get to participate in several different activities and project that make the learning more enjoyable and more memorable. Everyone of the teachers include some form of technology in their daily teachings. This could include movies, PowerPoint, Prezi, and document cameras. The use of technology mixes things up and keeps students engaged. Another great thing about the teaching style at Mount Vernon is that teachers don't just lecture the entire class period. Many times games, worksheets, and discussion make up a majority of the lesson plan.