Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Mona Shores High School is a highly rated, public school located in Muskegon, MI. It has 1,256 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 1% of students are at least proficient in math and 1% in reading.
Mona Shores High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+256 Students
- A239 Students
- B+180 Students
- C172 Students
- A+156 Students
- B-117 Students
- B113 Students
- A-61 Students
- B-52 Students
- A46 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.25 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.25 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 130 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.39 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.42 responses
Schools like Mona Shores High School
- ANorth Muskegon High School
- North Muskegon Public Schools, MI
- 104 reviews
- A-Grand Haven High School
- Grand Haven Area Public Schools, MI
- 325 reviews
- A-Spring Lake High School
- Spring Lake Public Schools, MI
- 107 reviews
- B-Montague High School
- Montague Area Public Schools, MI
- 58 reviews
Mona Shores High School Reviews
Overall Mona Shores High School is very good. The strong suit is definitely academics and athletics. However they focus too heavily on athletics, and not nearly as much on the performing arts, despite the choir having the Singing Christmas Tree every year. Some of the teachers are blatantly racist and sexist, yet the district doesn't seem to care. Students who are racist and get reported to the administration doesn't do anything, these students get what is basically a slap on the wrist and sometimes a one day suspension. Other than that the school is very good. Most of the teachers are amazing and are so helpful and kind!
I have been attending Mona Shores High School since freshman year (2016), as all experiences with high schools it has had its ups and downs. Despite the rough patches just the other day I was hit with the reality that I have only 4 months of High School left, and I realized that I'm going to miss it. Mona shores provided this big school family spirit, whether it be going to view America's biggest singing Christmas tree presented by the choir and orchestra or a football game by our state champs at the beginning of the year. The staff and teachers interact with the students and the way they learn to help ensure all concepts are understood. My experience here at Mona Shores leads me to believe that anyone who attends will enjoy their time here. Go Sailors!
My experience with Mona Shores High School was overall a good one. The district has a lot to offer: sports, opportunities in the fine arts, and countless clubs that cover a variety of topics. Moreover, the district values academics and holds students to a high standard of education. There are numerous Advanced Placement (AP) classes offered at the high school, giving students that opportunity to gain college credit before actually going to college. The atmosphere at MSHS is also very upbeat, or energetic. School spirit is certainly abundant. However, I would love to see more things celebrated other than just the top sports, football and basketball. In addition, I think having a system where students can give feedback to faculty would be beneficial. While it is understandable that teachers cannot cater to each individual student, better communication between the two would be mutually favorable.