Mira Costa High School is a top rated, public school located in Manhattan Beach, CA. It has 2,437 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 23 to 1. According to state test scores, 63% of students are at least proficient in math and 73% in reading.
Mira Costa High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+570 Students
- A+485 Students
- A+421 Students
- A+416 Students
- A336 Students
- A272 Students
- A-263 Students
- A+229 Students
- A-227 Students
- A+221 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.49 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.49 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 181 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.59 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.80 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.80 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.80 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.90 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.90 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.90 responses
Schools like Mira Costa High School
- A+Beverly Hills High School
- Beverly Hills Unified School District, CA
- 295 reviews
- A+Palos Verdes High School
- Palos Verdes Peninsula Unified School District, CA
- 351 reviews
- AEl Segundo High School
- El Segundo Unified School District, CA
- 484 reviews
- A+South High School
- Torrance Unified School District, CA
- 379 reviews
Mira Costa High School Reviews
Mira Costa High School is undoubtedly a representation of the strengths and weaknesses of Manhattan Beach society. While a large amount of funding is naturally poured into the school, many of its problems remain unsolved as they are not always met with open ears and active response by faculty. On-campus food, the math department, the Latin language class, and the band program are obvious examples of under-funded or poorly managed programs at the school. In spite of this, Mira Costa breeds outstanding young performers, particularly with its Bands, Choirs, and Orchestras; participation in any of these programs is a great privilege to its students.
4 years of excellent, challenging curriculum was given to me at Mira Costa. I enjoyed making connections with their many wonderful and well-educated teachers. The curriculum included AP courses which allowed me to receive college credits. Also, they offered summer school to get ahead on requirements to graduate. Their honor roll provided incentives to perform well in all classes and compete with other students. Despite this, Mira Costa was a tight-knit community that encouraged their students to succeed. The yearbook always showed how involved all of the students at Mira Costa were because it displayed more than 30 unique clubs and activities students were active in. During my time there, the renovations they did to the campus made it feel as if it was a college campus. The combination of those things adequately prepared me for college.
Mira Costa is a public school in Manhattan Beach, California. While the majority of the students are Manhattan Beach residents, there are a fair amount from surrounding cities. The administration is open to any problems or concerns, and in my experience has been very responsive. Most teachers are more than willing to assist students, including before or after school for help. There is a variety of extracurriculars, from sports to the award-winning technical theater and drama department. Like most other public schools, no one will be making sure you are maximizing your potential, however students have the resources to explore many academic pursuits if they make a conscious effort.