Mill Valley High School is a highly rated, public school located in Shawnee, KS. It has 1,365 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 39% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Mill Valley High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A331 Students
- A317 Students
- B+103 Students
- B+93 Students
- B+81 Students
- B+75 Students
- A62 Students
- B53 Students
- A51 Students
- B-48 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.26 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.26 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 68 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.41 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.41 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.41 responses
Schools like Mill Valley High School
- ADe Soto High School
- DeSoto Unified School District, KS
- 245 reviews
- A-Eudora High School
- Eudora Unified School District, KS
- 84 reviews
- A+Park Hill South High School
- Park Hill School District, MO
- 208 reviews
- A+Blue Valley West High School
- Blue Valley Unified School District (Overland Park), KS
- 242 reviews
Mill Valley High School Reviews
Great school! The majority of teachers are wonderful and really care about their students. Activities are well attended and there are multiple student organizations devoted to making sure all activities are given their share of fame. There's a large diversity of clubs, and the sports teams are multiple time state champions. The food can be a little sketchy, but it's never completly awful.
Mill Valley is a fairly good school overall, but there are several places that improvement is desperately needed. The Mill Valley theater is tiny and terrible, running on outdated equipment and minimal funding. There is almost no backstage area, no wings, and so little storage area that it is almost unsafe to be backstage. Sports teams are valued far above all other Mill Valley organizations. The Scienc Olympiad team or the band could win state and barely get a mention, but a sports team wins state and every student is pulled out for a mandatory assembly to congratulate them. Most of the teachers at Mill Valley are very good and have the best interests of their students in mind. There are some select teachers, however, that doom their students to fail through inadequate teaching and preparation. Overall, this school is one of the better ones, but it is not as perfect as many people would have you believe.
I really enjoyed Mill Valley because they appreciate their students in a variety of ways and the teachers are outstanding. Mill Valley high school has special seating just for seniors which is especially nice since underclassmen can be challenging to deal with. However, there is not always enough seats for everyone which needs to be changed. Throughout the years though I have encountered many teachers that truly appreciate their job. I have never felt more understood and comfortable with the teachers of Mill Valley high school.