Middletown High School South is a highly rated, public school located in Middletown, NJ. It has 1,565 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 13 to 1. According to state test scores, 36% of students are at least proficient in math and 50% in reading.
Middletown High School South Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A195 Students
- A167 Students
- A-156 Students
- B128 Students
- A+119 Students
- B100 Students
- C+96 Students
- B96 Students
- A+91 Students
- A-80 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.23 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.23 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 57 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.32 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.39 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.39 responses
Schools like Middletown High School South
- B+Middletown High School North
- Middletown Township Public School District, NJ
- 270 reviews
- A-Manasquan High School
- Manasquan School District, NJ
- 185 reviews
- A-Wall High School
- Wall Township Public School District, NJ
- 75 reviews
- B+Shore Regional High School
- Public School
- West Long Branch, NJ
- 127 reviews
Middletown High School South Reviews
Middletown High School South is a welcoming school for all types of students. The school allows people to feel they are appreciated and an important part of the community. There are many opportunities for students to challenge themselves academically whether it be Honors or Advanced Placement courses, or dual enrollment courses at Brookdale Community College, each student at Middletown High School South. There are so many clubs to join and many opportunities for students to branch out to achieve their personal goals. The teachers and staff are hard-working and dedicated to creating a positive learning environment. MHSS provides so many student-based programs such as Peer Leaders which is offered to juniors and seniors to help new students adapt to their new environment. In addition, during all seasons of sports, students of all grade levels band together to generate support for their sports teams which creates a sense of community while making a positive impact on student-athletes.
Overall I have had such a memorable, fun, and exciting educational experience because of Middletown High School South. I made so many friends, loved attending the football, basketball, and hockey games and made so many close bonds with my favorite teachers. Along with that I really enjoyed being apart of clubs like FBLA, and the diversity club. My teachers and administration are always so helpful too whenever I need. There are countless amounts of electives as well to choose from such as art, child development, anatomy, nutrition, computer science, etc. To be honest I would not change much about Middletown South. The one thing I can think of that has always bothered me is I would love if more people included students at lunch if they saw them sitting alone.
Overall a good HS experience. Academics are what you make of them - you can be enrolled in up to 6-7 AP courses per year, or take all "CP" (on-level) classes. Schedules are very flexible and can be tailored to your interests. The extracurricular offerings are somewhat lacking - there are lots of different clubs to join, but most are underdeveloped and pretty uninvolved. The school atmosphere is pretty good, and most students are kind/accepting. Most teachers and administrators are good people and care about their students.