Middletown High School South is a highly rated, public school located in Middletown, NJ. It has 1,406 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 12 to 1. According to state test scores, 37% of students are at least proficient in math and 50% in reading.
Middletown High School South Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A151 Students
- A123 Students
- A-121 Students
- B104 Students
- A+89 Students
- C+80 Students
- B79 Students
- B78 Students
- A+75 Students
- A63 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.21 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.37 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.37 responses
Schools like Middletown High School South
- B+Middletown High School North
- Middletown Township Public School District, NJ
- 254 reviews
- A-Manasquan High School
- Manasquan School District, NJ
- 178 reviews
- A-Wall High School
- Wall Township Public School District, NJ
- 70 reviews
- B+Shore Regional High School
- Public School
- West Long Branch, NJ
- 114 reviews
Middletown High School South Reviews
As a student of Middletown HS South, I am so grateful to have been afforded the ability to attend MHSS. Like any other high school, MHSS has its drawbacks. Yet, the positive experiences I have had at this school far outweigh the negative. I have genuinely never felt without the foremost scholarly necessities and I have always felt grateful for what I have been provided with at this school. At South, I have had the opportunity to challenge myself in the name of AP classes and I have also been able to experience the rigor of standardized testing through the PSAT. In addition, I would say South exudes a sense of school spirit that I believe to be a product of the school's making. I will say though, I do believe that sometimes South neglects certain clubs and often inhibits the individuality and perspective of South students. Overall though, I am grateful to have attended MHSS and truly believe that it will positively impact my future interactions with advanced levels of education.
New Jersey has one of the best education programs in the country. Middletown HS South has amazing teachers who enjoy what they do. In my four years of coming here, I've never had a teacher that I did not like. The school itself, however, is very focused on sports. I love music and arts but whenever the music or art department requests money or any support, the school disregards it. I wish the school recognized us seriously. I also have a problem with how attendance is run. The people who are in charge are not very helpful. Whenever parents have called, their questions are left unanswered. These issues could be resolved with the right management and I believe they will. The new principle here is very welcoming and says hi to all the students. He makes an effort to remember their names and always come into the classrooms to check on everything.
I have always enjoyed my school. My teachers always have their doors and arms open. They are always willing to help students, whether it be before class during class, or during our extra help block. Middletown South offers many clubs and activities, and I have been lucky enough to take part in 7 of their clubs. They offer many volunteer hours through their clubs as well. Middletown South's academics are top-notch; they offer Advanced Placement colleges with college credits available. School spirit is evident at Middletown South; they have at least 3 pep rallies a year as well as "Midd South Nation" who attends the sporting events and cheers the teams on. The school is also in a very safe area, and security guards are always in the hallways to keep students safe. Middletown South is an all around top-notch school with great opportunities for students.