Michigan City High School is a public school located in Michigan City, IN. It has 1,753 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 25% of students are at least proficient in math and 46% in reading.
Michigan City High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A238 Students
- A+196 Students
- B+192 Students
- B-153 Students
- B+145 Students
- B-117 Students
- A-89 Students
- C+61 Students
- B60 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.17 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 34 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.28 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.28 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.32 responses
Schools like Michigan City High School
- C+River Valley Middle/High School
- River Valley School District, MI
- 52 reviews
- BLaporte High School
- Laporte Community School Corporation, IN
- PK, 9-12
- 288 reviews
- BWashington Township Middle/High School
- East Porter County School Corporation, IN
- 38 reviews
- B-New Prairie High School
- New Prairie United School Corporation, IN
- 250 reviews
Michigan City High School Reviews
At Michigan City High school everyone knows everyone and we all support each other. The teachers are great with giving students one on one learning time and all educators in the building encourage students to do their best. There are a lot of different clubs to join and everyone can join. I feel very safe and secure at school, we always practice safety drills and teachers know how to disarm an attacker because they all have to take a course in it to keep us safe. Everyone is really supportive of the sports teams and we all go to games to cheer them on. The band plays at every game and sound awesome! Parents are always able to check students grades and meet with teachers whenever. The community is very involved and we all love our big high school!
Our daughter graduated in 2018 - she received an excellent education at MCHS and is well prepared for college! So many opportunities in academics, athletics, clubs, arts, etc. She also earned close to 50 dual and AP credits thanks to a solid and challenging honors program. Outstanding teachers and staff. Also MCHS is very diverse - a great asset.
The teachers are nice and will try their darnedest to help you succeed, there are plenty of opportunities to make new friends (maybe find some old ones), and an abundance of classes/clubs to help you achieve your goals. The three things I would like to change the most are the school's tolerance levels towards the certain students who think that they don't have to learn, behave, or follow rules, that can ruin your high school experience. The other is that certain clubs overlap with one another which makes it difficult to choose the clubs and how much you can be committed. They also, like any stereotypical high school, pay more attention towards sports than the arts. Other than those, I enjoy coming to Michigan City high school. I recommend signing your kid up for the Early College program. We also have other programs like AH, 21st Century Scholars, and more.