Messalonskee High School is a public school located in Oakland, ME. It has 749 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 32% of students are at least proficient in math and 52% in reading.
Messalonskee High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+87 Students
- B-43 Students
- B41 Students
- B38 Students
- C+37 Students
- A+25 Students
- C+23 Students
- A-23 Students
- A+18 Students
- C+18 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.12 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.12 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.19 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.19 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
Schools like Messalonskee High School
- C+Cony School
- Augusta Public Schools, ME
- 85 reviews
- B-Winslow High School
- Winslow Public Schools, ME
- 78 reviews
- B-Skowhegan Area High School
- Regional School Unit No. 54 (MSAD 54), ME
- 87 reviews
- C+Lawrence High School
- Regional School Unit No. 49 (MSAD 49), ME
- 129 reviews
Messalonskee High School Reviews
A community is a good descriptor for the overall Messalonskee experience, as there are a variety of different ways to play your part in the community. Like any high school, you have various sports to play and numerous after-school clubs; but its what you do within these clubs and teams that shines through the most looking back. These groups can interact with each other in unexpected ways from overall fundraising to the advertisement of local businesses that, in turn, contribute to the school. Notable events brought to the forefront would be the homecoming football games, theatrical productions, and concerts. With life's detours and bumps, Messalonskee High School left me with positive and foundational learning experiences that have applied now and, in my opinion, long after I'm done with college.
Messalonskee is a great school because the class selection is so diverse and the teachers are great! There are many different classes that a student can sign up for and it is awesome that there is such a wide range of things that we can learn about. The teachers I had at Messalonskee were wonderful! Most of the teachers were enthusiastic about the material they were teaching and it really helped to make learning much more enjoyable. The only thing I would like to see change at Messalonskee is possibly have more interactive activities between the students in order to create an even closer bond. This could be through field trips or through classroom games every once and a while.
Messalonskee High School has an amazing athletics program and has seen great success over the years. There is also a notable theater and music program that is popular. The students at Messalonskee take great pride in the school as seen during Homecoming Week, sporting events, and Spring Fling. The academics are decent and teachers do put effort into their teaching for the most part. The school is not diverse at all, however, but that primarily has to do with the state of Maine in itself.