Merrillville High School is a public school located in Merrillville, IN. It has 2,194 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 13% of students are at least proficient in math and 46% in reading.
Merrillville High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A418 Students
- B+317 Students
- B-307 Students
- A+302 Students
- B211 Students
- B-180 Students
- B+161 Students
- B146 Students
- B-91 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.67 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.67 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.75 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.75 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.75 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.94 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.94 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.94 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.100 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.100 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.100 responses
Merrillville High School Reviews
Merrillville High School has always been known for the excellent academics they offer their students. During my high school career I could always count on my teachers and counselors being able to answer any questions I had about college. I can honestly thank my counselor Ms. Dewald, for all her hard work and being able to help me make the discussion to go to college less terrifying. At Merrillville High School the counselors help the students with state test, college applications, and fafsa. The only thing that I can say would need improvement is the food, but what high school student can say their lunches are perfect!
My experience with Merrillville High School has been average overall. There are good teachers who can allow students to feel wanted and welcomed to learn. However, there are a few teachers who are lackluster and don't provide the quality teaching that all teacher's should be providing. School culture the administration strives for (a safe, respectful, and fun environment) has been hard to reach due to a few outlying students. Merrillville High School could improve substantially if the administration can have a breakthrough with the individuals that don't believe in the respectful and safe environment Merrillville is trying to achieve.
What I liked most about Merrillville High School was the diversity among the students. I had the opportunity to meet students from many different backgrounds. Also, the staff at the school were for the most part very friendly while still being an authoritative figure. However, the school’s handbook had a few rules that seemed a bit ridiculous like students unable to have shoulders exposed especially during the summer and a few other regulations. Otherwise, there wasn’t anything I really didn’t enjoy during my time at the school.