Mercer Island High School Rankings
Niche ranks over 14,000 public high schools based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+297 Students
- B+120 Students
- A+103 Students
- A91 Students
- A-91 Students
- A+82 Students
- A+81 Students
- A+72 Students
- A69 Students
- B+67 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.19 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.19 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.35 responses
Mercer Island High School Reviews
Review Mercer Island High School
Although Mercer Island High School (MIHS) is a predominantly white school, and being a minority, I did not feel out of place because I feel accepted by all students. MIHS provides many college readiness classes that I believe will help me when I enter college. I like how they offer classes that give college credit and provide college level of difficulty, for example UW courses. MIHS also has a variety of sports. By participating in sports, I believe that students are able to practice and learn time management techniques that will be applicable in the future. As I have matured and time passed, the school culture has changed drastically. There have been more spirit days that most students participated in and there is more of an emphasis for students to attend sports games and to participate in school events (for example, a dodgeball tournament). This has had the most impact on my high school experience because of the newfound school culture.
In my three years here, I have only had one teacher whom I was unhappy with. He/she was nice, but unorganized and straight up not good at teaching. Fortunately, few teachers are like him/her. Otherwise, most teachers at MIHS are engaging, understanding and knowledgeable in their fields. They are reasonable any very willing to help you outside of class. Quite a few teachers have built very enthusiastic student fan bases! In my opinion, the quality of teachers is the best part of MIHS.
There a variety of extracurricular activities at this school. Most students are currently participating in Key Club, Interact Club, Help Club, International Club, Science Club, Math Club. Students even create their own clubs such as ROCK club, Harry Potter Club, and Badminton Club. There are many after-school activities that many students enjoy to attend, especially sports. Two years ago, there were 70 members participating in badminton. We all had a chance to compete against different schools. It was an amazing experience.