Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B
- Diversitygrade C
- Teachersgrade A
- College Prepgrade C
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C
- Health & Safetygrade A
- Administrationgrade A minus
- Sportsgrade unavailable
- Foodgrade B minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B+
Mercedes Early College Academy is an above average, public, alternative school located in Mercedes, TX. It has 430 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 87% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Mercedes Early College Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Percent Proficient - Reading
Percent Proficient - Math
Average Graduation Rate
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B152 Students
- grade B108 Students
- grade C+104 Students
- grade A+102 Students
- grade B102 Students
- grade A+98 Students
- grade B+77 Students
- grade B minus70 Students
- grade A minus62 Students
- grade A37 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A
- Good for Familiesgrade C+
- Housinggrade B minus
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 7 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 14 responses
- Senior Pep Rally36%
- Student council29%
- Fun Day14%
- Pep rallies7%
- Robotics club7%
- We don't have any.7%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 12 responses
Average Teacher Salary
Teachers in First/Second Year
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 12 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$12,254 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 16 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 16 responses
Schools like Mercedes Early College Academy
- grade CMercedes High School
- Mercedes Independent School District, TX
- Rating 3.45 out of 5 127 reviews
- grade C+Edinburg High School
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- Rating 4.09 out of 5 163 reviews
- grade B+Thomas Jefferson T-STEM Early College High School
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District, TX
- Rating 4.3 out of 5 126 reviews
- grade B+Early College High School
- Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- Rating 3.94 out of 5 139 reviews
Mercedes Early College Academy Reviews
Rating 3.92 out of 5 120 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
My experience in Mercedes Early College Academy has been one of great stress, dedication, and fun. Throughout my four years in high school, I saw myself become the person I strived to be as a child. To reiterate, I began college classes at the age of 14, and had to endure the same stress of that as an 18-year-old adult! This, along with mentally maturing, has given me a sense of accomplishment that would become an outline for my success in Mercedes Early College Academy. Academics have always been the utmost importance in my imaginary list of priority, though I'm not opposed to having fun. I saw myself participate in activities such as pep rallies, the battle of the books, JROTC, student council, and M.E.C.A unity day. I absolutely love my high school but one thing I'd change is student-teacher relationships. I feel as if no one really had an amazing relationship with a teacher and this had effected students passion for attending any particular class.
Mercedes Early College is a wonderful campus full of amazing staff and hard-working students. We've defeated the odds of a "Mercedes" school by becoming one, of a few hundred, schools to be federally recognized as a high preforming school for 5 years straight! If I were to change anything about the campus it'd be the campus itself! Unfortunately, our district doesn't have enough funding to give us proper education and it really takes a toll on some of the students. Regardless, Mercedes early College is an excellent campus that I am proud of attending.
As a former student of this great school, I had such a great experience here. It prepared me for college and life after high school. The staff and faculty treated students and each other well. In this school there was no violence amongst anyone with in the school walls. Everyone was treated as family. As I was attending this school four four years I was able to obtain my associates in arts and interdisciplinary studies. But it wasn't a solo ride, for four years my teacher and administrators helped and guided me down the path of success. so overall I enjoyed my time in Mercedes Early College Academy, so much so I could have called it my second home.