Mercedes Early College Academy is an above average, public, alternative school located in Mercedes, TX. It has 364 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 95% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Mercedes Early College Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B91 Students
- B-88 Students
- B72 Students
- A+70 Students
- A+69 Students
- B67 Students
- B-60 Students
- B+51 Students
- A-39 Students
- B+26 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.12 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.12 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.16 responses
Schools like Mercedes Early College Academy
- CMercedes High School
- Mercedes Independent School District, TX
- 124 reviews
- B-Edinburg High School
- Edinburg Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 139 reviews
- A-Thomas Jefferson T-STEM Early College High School
- Pharr-San Juan-Alamo Independent School District, TX
- 112 reviews
- B+Early College High School
- Harlingen Consolidated Independent School District, TX
- 133 reviews
Mercedes Early College Academy Reviews
My experience in Mercedes Early College Academy has been one of great stress, dedication, and fun. Throughout my four years in high school, I saw myself become the person I strived to be as a child. To reiterate, I began college classes at the age of 14, and had to endure the same stress of that as an 18-year-old adult! This, along with mentally maturing, has given me a sense of accomplishment that would become an outline for my success in Mercedes Early College Academy. Academics have always been the utmost importance in my imaginary list of priority, though I'm not opposed to having fun. I saw myself participate in activities such as pep rallies, the battle of the books, JROTC, student council, and M.E.C.A unity day. I absolutely love my high school but one thing I'd change is student-teacher relationships. I feel as if no one really had an amazing relationship with a teacher and this had effected students passion for attending any particular class.
In my time at Mercedes Early College Academy the faculty and staff were nothing but helpful and encouraging. The teachers really care about how you are doing in their classes and want you to learn the material. The administration does all they can to prepare you for your future, and college. If I ever needed help my teachers were always there to lend a helping hand. My old teachers were even willing to help me with questions I had about my college classes. If I were to change anything about my experience at Mercedes Early College I would like for the school to be more engaged in extracurricular activities. Overall though my high school was a great environment to thrive and learn.
I enjoyed the teacher’s involvement in their students academics. Almost everyone in my senior class graduated with an associate degree, and the principal cared for her students. I wish there was more diversity, but it’s hard when Mercedes is 98% Hispanic/Latino. I also wish there were more clubs and extracurricular activities that weren’t sports related, it would be nice if there was a theater arts department. Overall, Mercedes Early College Academy strives at academics but lacks diversity and clubs. Of course, the best thing about MECA is that the faculty strives for everyone to be college ready and pushes their students to obtain an associate degree. Although I just graduated, I would recommend MECA to everyone interested in earning college credit hours or an associate degree.