McNairy Central High School is a public school located in Selmer, TN. It has 798 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1. According to state test scores, 19% of students are at least proficient in math and 29% in reading.
McNairy Central High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B65 Students
- B64 Students
- A-64 Students
- B54 Students
- C+41 Students
- A-34 Students
- A-30 Students
- A-29 Students
- A+26 Students
- B-24 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.14 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.14 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 27 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.18 responses
McNairy Central High School Reviews
I feel like much of the staff and administration don't care about the students or the environment we are learning in. Bathrooms are dirty and disgustingly sickening on a daily basis when students are undisciplined and act like children rather than the teenagers they are. Bacteria grows in every inch of the school, as proven by experiments done by the biology classes. Furthermore, food in the cafeteria is less than appealing and unhealthy. We offer food in vending machines, but this is often sugar-filled, sodium-packed heart attacks in a bag. Drinks are diet and contain aspertaime that causes headaches in many students. Many teachers, specifically general class, are sour and disrespectful to students, showing favouritism to some while the rest are made fun of blatantly by teachers. Some teachers, however, make learning and school highly enjoyable, and overall there is a slight effort to include students of different backgrounds, but many students are still left out.
The school overall isn't as clean and exciting as I'd hoped it would be when I was a freshman. There are very few real movements to fix up our school; however, several of our bathrooms have been remodelled, and several classrooms are being given their own thermostats because, frankly, that place is a walk-in freezer. Not to mention, the student body mass could use some tidying. Many of the general population are ill-mannered, no-good, rotten people who only seem to care about themselves and work so desperately to make lesser students look and feel horrible. But, in spite of its flaws, I positively love the majority of the staff. Aside from only a couple run-ins, the staff is an overall kind and caring body of hardworking and ambitious teachers and administrators who only want their students to go off and be successful. (It's the students' choice whether or not they'll be successful, but the teachers and staff try.)
Within my four years of high school, I have definitely seen more that I like than dislike. Soccer has been one of my favorite parts; it's given me great friends and been a part in preparing me for soccer in college at Martin Methodist. Along with friends in the student body, I have also made many friends with the teachers and faculty. They have given me advice, help, and just been a good friend to talk to if I ever needed it. I would like to see the strict policies be changed, such as how we can't leave for lunch. But overall my school experience has been a very memorable and helpful one for the years to come.