McMinn High School is a public school located in Athens, TN. It has 1,538 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 19 to 1. According to state test scores, 77% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
McMinn High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-212 Students
- B116 Students
- B103 Students
- B-97 Students
- B94 Students
- C+84 Students
- B83 Students
- B79 Students
- A+68 Students
- B+51 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.17 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.17 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 41 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.25 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.27 responses
Schools like McMinn High School
- BCentral High School
- McMinn County School District, TN
- 59 reviews
- BMeigs County High School
- Meigs County School District, TN
- PK, 9-12
- 51 reviews
- C+Polk County High School
- Polk County School District, TN
- 31 reviews
- C+Sweetwater High School
- Monroe County School District, TN
- 37 reviews
McMinn High School Reviews
I went to McMinn for all four years of my high school career. Many teachers that I had did not help me whatsoever in getting me ready for college. However, there were a few select teachers that helped me tremendously! They were my personal references to get jobs and my references for getting a full college scholarship. Clubs and other activities are plentiful if you ask. Also, if there is not a club you want, you can easily create your own as long as you can find a sponsor. There has been a decent amount of diversity, but normally it winds up being a huge problem. There were countless fights based on racial stereotyping and the high school did not do much about it other than pulling the fighters apart. The building itself is falling apart. There are massive cracks in the walls and the bathrooms are outdated and just sad looking.
Overall, McMinn County High School strives to put their best foot forward for their students. The administration has graciously poured funds into improving the facilities both inside and outside the school building. Guidance counselors work hard to give every student the greatest opportunity of achievement. Most teachers on campus are willing to work with students to improve their academic standing and help them become college ready. However, the rigor of the classes in many departments is very low, which allows many students to be blindsided by the work necessary to excel later in other areas.
The high school has a lot of things that need to be changed before it is a respectable institution. I realize two stars are not a lot, but please understand there are great teachers at the school. The thing that makes the review bad is the fact the school is run so poorly. Administration often focuses on the wrong issues, and even more often the wrong students face some degree of punishment. Drugs have become a more common theme each of my years at the school, which is kind of scary considering people always warned me just how bad it would be. The building itself is falling apart. The a/c never works, th walls are cracking, and numerous other age related issues are prominent. Athletics used to be really good, but through my time there they started to trend downward. Again, if things begin to change, McMinn could very well be a respectable institution.