McDowell High School Reviews

I enjoyed my time here. I have learned a lot thanks to the amazing teachers I got that lead me in the right directions.
The main thing I liked about McDowell High was simply the teachers. I loved every teacher I had while being there.
What I didn't like is how much bullying went on there. Not much was done that efficiently stopped bullying and fighting. We could've done more.
I have greatly enjoyed McDowell High School during my time here. The teachers that I had were always willing to work with me and they greatly prepared me for the future. I was able to have different research internships and use my knowledge obtained from McDowell.
Start Your Review of McDowell High School
A rather miserable school where a few truly great teachers can be found but are usually crushed or burned out by the bad administration and school district. School culture is much more focused on vocational preparation and is not very inspirational or encouraging of college-bound students.
I just finished my freshmen year at McDowell High School and I did enjoy it a lot. Most of the teachers are a great help and I made great new friends. McDowell has a nice media center which is a great place to study with plenty of resources. The school lunch isn't all that good but there is a variety of food options to choose from. They have great electives to choose from and plenty of clubs to join. The school has a very good basketball team for both girls and boys and also lots of other sports to play.
While the teachers I have had have mostly been AMAZING there is not a large selection of classes and the curriculum is average but due to over crowding in classes you end up doing poorly.
The staff of McDowell High School was very biased and picked favorites among the student population. Students that were in regular classes were encouraged to join manufacturing plants such as Baxters. While students in Honors or AP classes were encouraged to attend 4 year universities.
This school is a small high school. Not very much to do. Teachers are good, well some of them at least. Our sports teams aren't the best. The school puts most of the money into the sports teams.

McDowell High School has given me many opportunities to expand my knowledge, skills, and communication. I enjoyed the school spirit and involvement of the clubs/organizations that were held. Although it is a small school, there were many programs that will help grow students into the person they want to become. I've been in several of their leadership programs, with each one giving me experiences that will last a lifetime. The teachers are willing to cooperate with students and provide any help that is needed.
I love how the teachers and principals are beginning to focus more on students and their well being. My counselors were also a great help.
My experience at McDowell High school was very good. Some things I would change is the food in the lunch room, cleaner bathrooms, and more CTE classes that are focused more on our career choices other than some of the same classes.
I felt like my child was just a number and the only attention given was to the disruptive unruly students. My child was not helped senior year with any college applications or scholarships. We are left to our own accord. My child took as many classes as allowed at our local community school. It is unfortunate our only high school in the county is below average to average.
It's located in Marion, NC, which is a very small town. It's the only high school we have in the area, so everybody pretty much knows everyone. Education has improved over the years, but could use improvement.
McDowell High School is a good high school. However, it lacks solid support for the marching band. Furthermore, there seems to be more emphasis on athletics than on academics. In addition, the academic programs are average with some classes poorly taught. For example, some teachers assign a tremendous amount of homework to make up for the lack of instruction in the classroom. Moreover, the school is very crowded with at least thirty students in each classroom. Overall, I have enjoyed my experience at McDowell High School inspire of its many shortcomings.
Just like any high school there is drama, drugs, crazy teen, prissy girls, and losers. I'm a loser 😏 but because I'm smart. So that's okay.
At McDowell High School I love how the teachers are always willing to help regardless of the situation. They are always keeping the students up to date about opportunities and helping us reach our full potential. On the other hand, I would like to see better disciplinary action with students who disrupt class, with students who use tobacco on campus, and with students who are disrespectful to faculty and/or peers.
I liked McDowell High School because the spirit of the school is good. Especially during football season, everyone participates in spirit week, and everyone comes to the game to support them. Also it gave me a good idea of how to be prepared for college.
Start Your Review of McDowell High School
There are a few teachers who care more about the education than having a job, but the education is lacking. The teachers give their lessons and don't care if the student learns anything. They just care about the test scores at the end of the semester.
I graduated from this school in 2014. I went to two schools during my high school years and it was actually the nicer of the two high schools I attended.
I Really like McDowell High my child has been at the school for his whole high school career. They have plenty of academic courses to take if you are not interested in vocational studies. A good variety of language classes and extra curricular activities. Pretty much a great school and really wouldn't change anything.