Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade C+
- Diversitygrade B
- Teachersgrade B minus
- College Prepgrade C+
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade C minus
- Health & Safetygrade C
- Administrationgrade C+
- Sportsgrade C
- Foodgrade C minus
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade C+
McDowell High School is a public school located in Marion, NC. It has 1,436 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 40% of students are at least proficient in math and 53% in reading.
McDowell High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade A minus199 Students
- grade B179 Students
- grade A+130 Students
- grade A+129 Students
- grade B+127 Students
- grade B99 Students
- grade B87 Students
- grade B+80 Students
- grade C+78 Students
- grade B63 Students
Living in the Area
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade A minus
- Good for Familiesgrade B
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 21 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 21 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 42 responses
- Football Games31%
- Yearbook Signing21%
- Classes with the good teachers19%
- Basketball and baseball games10%
- Pep Rally10%
- Cross country2%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 23 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 23 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 30 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 30 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade C minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$9,996 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 36 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 36 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 36 responses
McDowell High School Reviews
Rating 3.35 out of 5 234 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
When it comes to my high school, they do there very best to make us all feel safe and loved. All of the teachers go out of their ways to make sure that each student is prepared for the future, and that is ultimately what everyone needs. Even throughout this pandemic, our superintendent, principal and teachers have reached out to us making sure we are alright. I can confidently say at this time, that our school does everything they possibly can for us and will continue to do the same for all the students remaining at our wonderful high school. I am proud to say that I attended high school and McDowell High simply because of how much they care!
McDowell High School has done a very good job of providing a smooth high school experience. With the pandemic, they have handled things very well and transitioned to online learning very well. My teachers have continued teaching me and I have remained an active student. Sometimes I feel that I was not told about the opportunities at my high school or Techincal Community College and could have taken advantage of them in a better way. On the other hand, I will be attending college with nearly 30 credit hours and I am so grateful for that. My county and high school are considered underresourced but I have tried my best to capitalize every chance I can.
Overall, my experience at McDowell High School was very pleasant. The staff and administrators are very friendly and willing to help. My only complaints are the allocation of the budget and how certain things are prioritized. For example, over $1 million dollars was spent to redo our school's football field, but some classes are having to use textbooks that are falling apart at the seams. Additionally, a big priority at this school revolves around following dress code, which I understand is important, but I feel there should be more attention directed towards the actual safety of all personnel inside the building. Despite these suggestions, I am glad to have been able to attend McDowell High for all four years and feel as if I owe a lot of my success to my teachers and counselors who helped me achieve my goals.