McDowell High School is a public school located in Marion, NC. It has 1,663 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 35% of students are at least proficient in math and 39% in reading.
McDowell High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A-136 Students
- B132 Students
- A+104 Students
- A+100 Students
- B+86 Students
- B77 Students
- B+66 Students
- B+66 Students
- C+61 Students
- B+45 Students
Living in the Area
- Crime & SafetyNG
- Cost of LivingA-
- Good for FamiliesC+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.18 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.18 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 37 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.27 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.27 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.33 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.33 responses
McDowell High School Reviews
McDowell High School has given me many opportunities to expand my knowledge, skills, and communication. I enjoyed the school spirit and involvement of the clubs/organizations that were held. Although it is a small school, there were many programs that will help grow students into the person they want to become. I've been in several of their leadership programs, with each one giving me experiences that will last a lifetime. The teachers are willing to cooperate with students and provide any help that is needed.
McDowell High School is a good high school. However, it lacks solid support for the marching band. Furthermore, there seems to be more emphasis on athletics than on academics. In addition, the academic programs are average with some classes poorly taught. For example, some teachers assign a tremendous amount of homework to make up for the lack of instruction in the classroom. Moreover, the school is very crowded with at least thirty students in each classroom. Overall, I have enjoyed my experience at McDowell High School inspire of its many shortcomings.
At McDowell High School I love how the teachers are always willing to help regardless of the situation. They are always keeping the students up to date about opportunities and helping us reach our full potential. On the other hand, I would like to see better disciplinary action with students who disrupt class, with students who use tobacco on campus, and with students who are disrespectful to faculty and/or peers.