McDowell High School Reviews

McDowell is a great public high school for our area. The teachers are usually experts in their subjects. Sports are very important to this school, but other activities are offered as well.
My experience at McDowell High school was nothing short of eventful. From the interactions with various teachers to the overall school atmosphere, I truly enjoyed what McDowell had to offer. The numerous clubs and activities along with the esteemed teachers made McDowell a memorable experience.
They offer a wide selection of Electives for students to choose from, allowing almost anyone to find something they enjoy. The teacher are friendly and open and are very good at teaching their respective subject.
Start Your Review of McDowell High School
My experience with McDowell was average. I made a lot of friends and bonded with a few of the teachers. There were definitely a few employees that stood out, but overall I think this school does not adequately prepare high school students for college.
I spent my junior and senior year at McDowell after moving from Colombia, South America. I loved my HS career at McDowell, the faculty was always nice to me and they did their best to help with anything I needed. The students were really nice, I didn't encounter many racist comments but when it happened it was addressed immediately. Regarding clubs and activities, I had the honor of being part of the debate team and it was an incredible experience, not only the coach is funny and friendly if not the students create an atmosphere that makes you feel like if you are part of a special family. Overall my experience at McDowell HS was excellent, I highly recommend this HS to people who are looking into it. My advice to my underclassmen is to get involved, HS is so much fun when you join a club or activity that you are passionate about.
I am currently enrolled at McDowell High School. The teachers and staff are very friendly and welcoming and the academics are well put together all around. The school lunches have the potential to be much better but aren't terrible. One thing i must complain about is the facilities. They are often unclean and or broken. But, all in all McDowell is a pretty nice school.
Attending McDowell High School changed me in so many ways. I came from a small, Catholic middle school to a fairly large, public high school. This change was made so much easier by the kind and helpful guidance counselors and teachers. I have grown so much as a person because of my high school experience. I enjoyed taking AP classes and working hard. I do wish the transition from my middle school math classes into my mathematics classes had been smoother. Overall, I am content with my decision to attend McDowell and the person it made me.
McDowell taught me so much! I had so much fun, was given so many opportunities, and the large size of the school was beneficial.
McDowell has been okay for me. could have been a lot better. I have had many bad and many good experiences. The clubs and activities are outstanding. some teachers were amazing but others were not so good. The athletics and school spirit were pretty good. I think they definitely do what they can to keep you safe at McDowell but there are some things like bullying they really need to focus on. overall it is a pretty good school though. I would definitely say McDowell is one of the better schools in Erie area and definitely go there over the city schools.
More awareness of student safety on campus. More nutrious lunch options. Better communication between Hime and school. Accountability for students and staff who create a culture of criticism and cutting each other down.
Prepared me for college, but not a friendly atmosphere among the students. Teachers will helpful, but not vigilant regarding bullying apparent in the study body.
McDowell was a great school for my high school athletics. I went to playoffs year after year in football and our wrestling team won states. I also like how when I got to college I was more prepared for it then the other student. This might be because of the challenging courses which were available.
McDowell was great at some things and not so great at other things. Every year they would get more strict about things that don’t matter. Overall it was a good experience for me
This was a very large high school but overall was very nice. I felt as if all of my academics more than prepared me for my college courses
I have enjoyed my time at this high school. It’s a nice school to go to I mean some of the teachers are a little rough but at trying to get us ready for our futures ahead, there is a lot of activities an abundance of sports to play. We are very focused on our sports so that’s a plus if you are interested in them. If you are struggling we have a lot of tutoring programs after school so you don’t have to worry about failing classes.
McDowell overall is a very good school. The teachers for the most part are great, and the classes are fun for the most part as well. Sports are pretty over-glorified compared to the other school programs, but other than that it's a great school.
its a really great school and i couldn't have seen myself going anywhere else. i really enjoyed learning here. the teacher are all very nice and most are willing to help you out. the school has such a large student population but the classroom sizes are a decent size. there's also so many different sports and activities you can join. everyone is bound to find something they like here.
Start Your Review of McDowell High School
I did not like how big the school was, it was always very hot in the summer. Very cold in the winters. I am so happy to be out of there! The teachers pretty much just gave us good grades to pass us since there was so many kids enrolled. They did not prepare me for college at all!!
I enjoyed the fact that we got to choose classes that we took an interest to. I would like to see the lock down drills change. We need to have stricter rules to keep the students and faculty safe.
Lots of diversity and the teachers truly care about you and your success! In my opinion, more could be done (in all schools) to better prepare students for the work force and college.