McDowell High School is an above average, public school located in Erie, PA. It has 2,319 students in grades PK, 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 61% of students are at least proficient in math and 80% in reading.
McDowell High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B245 Students
- A+237 Students
- C+220 Students
- B+216 Students
- A196 Students
- B-164 Students
- B138 Students
- A-101 Students
- B-76 Students
- B67 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.45 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.45 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 112 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.50 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.72 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.72 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.72 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.73 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.73 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.73 responses
Schools like McDowell High School
- B-Girard High School
- Girard School District, PA
- 129 reviews
- B-Seneca High School
- Wattsburg Area School District, PA
- 97 reviews
- C+Northwestern Senior High School
- Northwestern School District, PA
- 81 reviews
- BHarbor Creek Senior High School
- Harbor Creek School District, PA
- 143 reviews
McDowell High School Reviews
McDowell High School is a very diverse and cultivated type of school. There are many different types of people within a school building. You have your college ready students and also your not so college ready students, with a mix of kids who would like to join trade school and or some type of post secondary school. Luckily for me, college is my plan to live a successful life. At McDowell, teachers have the goal to prepare their students for whatever path they would like to travel. The academics are grat at McDowell, the administration gives you thr freedom to choose the difficulty of classes you would like based upon teacher recommendations, previous history, and preserverence. McDowell gives you all of the tools and resources you need at your as a high school student which leads to a perfect learning atmosphere. Overall the school in itself is great. The staff, the administration, the parents you name it. I am glad to be known as a Trojan!
I moved to this area halfway through eighth grade. I never new anything but pride and prejudice among the students in McDowell's attendance area. I faced some discrimination at the hands of these students for my religious beliefs (as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) and the teachers at the middle school and the brief period I attended this school did nothing to stop it; indeed, many made my academic life harder by increasing my work load simply because I was educated in Colorado to that point in my life.
I spent my junior and senior year at McDowell after moving from Colombia, South America. I loved my HS career at McDowell, the faculty was always nice to me and they did their best to help with anything I needed. The students were really nice, I didn't encounter many racist comments but when it happened it was addressed immediately. Regarding clubs and activities, I had the honor of being part of the debate team and it was an incredible experience, not only the coach is funny and friendly if not the students create an atmosphere that makes you feel like if you are part of a special family. Overall my experience at McDowell HS was excellent, I highly recommend this HS to people who are looking into it. My advice to my underclassmen is to get involved, HS is so much fun when you join a club or activity that you are passionate about.