Overall Niche Grade
- Academicsgrade B+
- Diversitygrade B minus
- Teachersgrade A minus
- College Prepgrade B
- Clubs & Activitiesgrade A minus
- Health & Safetygrade B
- Administrationgrade B
- Sportsgrade A
- Foodgrade B
- Resources & Facilitiesgrade B
McDowell High School is an above average, public school located in Erie, PA. It has 2,121 students in grades PK, 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 78% of students are at least proficient in math and 80% in reading.
McDowell High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- grade B340 Students
- grade A+322 Students
- grade B303 Students
- grade C+299 Students
- grade A263 Students
- grade B minus225 Students
- grade B198 Students
- grade A minus129 Students
- grade B minus102 Students
- grade B91 Students
Living in the Area
grade A minus
Overall Niche Grade
- Cost of Livinggrade B
- Good for Familiesgrade A minus
- Housinggrade B+
Median Household Income
Median Home Value
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school. 50 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there. 50 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 130 responses
- Pep rallys22%
- McDowell Mob and Game Day Crew at sporting events20%
- My own sporting events10%
- Performing Arts10%
- ROTC events and community service5%
- Esposure club that help the community4%
grade B minus
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive. 55 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy. 55 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic. 55 responses
No data available
Cost is for the most complete schedule offered and may have changed for the current school year. For more information, please contact the school.
- Offers Full WeekNo data available
- Offers Part WeekNo data available
- Offers Full DayNo data available
- Offers Part DayNo data available
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons. 77 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students. 77 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom. 77 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
grade A minus
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
$13,650 / year
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in. 78 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need. 78 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations. 78 responses
Schools like McDowell High School
- grade B minusGirard High School
- Girard School District, PA
- Rating 3.4 out of 5 133 reviews
- grade C+Seneca High School
- Wattsburg Area School District, PA
- Rating 3.69 out of 5 104 reviews
- grade B minusNorthwestern Senior High School
- Northwestern School District, PA
- Rating 3.49 out of 5 93 reviews
- grade BHarbor Creek Senior High School
- Harbor Creek School District, PA
- Rating 3.9 out of 5 164 reviews
McDowell High School Reviews
Rating 3.7 out of 5 513 reviews
Selecting a category below will take you to another page
I am a current senior at McDowell High School, and I truly couldn't say better things about this school. I have grown up as a Millcreek Township resident, and honestly, all of the Millcreek schools are great. The teachers here are great and are always ready and willing to help their students when they need it. As a freshman, I was SHOCKED to see the number of clubs and activities McDowell offers. There is truly something for everyone at McDowell! The student life and culture at McDowell is superior due to our awesome student section that is represented at every game, and not to mention we are also awesome at sports! The academics are great as well, providing courses for every student that enrolls here. McDowell and the entire Millcreek School District have been amazing throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, and as a student, I have been able to adjust accordingly to online school due to the administration and thorough teachers. All in all, I absolutely love McDowell!
I have been attending McDowell High School since my freshman year. With Erie being such a small city, McDowell does not give a chance for many new oppritunities. Though, I will say, a majority of the teachers are awesome and really do care about your future. There are many different clubs/acitivites you can be involved in, they just need to be brought more awareness- which you can help with if you attend! The school spirit is great and falculty/staff truly does care about the well being of each and every student that attends McDowell. Go Trojans!
I love the environment they've created, the scheduling opportunity, and the teachers. The environment is so upbeat and supportive. One of my favorite experiences at McDowell was going to the football games with friends. Joining the mob unifies everyone to root for the same team. The scheduling opportunity is amazing. Unsurprisingly, McDowell is a big school thats able to offer many electives. Anything that sparks your interests or any hobbies you enjoy have an elective or extra curricular activity at McDowell to encourage those interests. Finally, the teachers at McDowell are second to none. They are very supportive and encouraging. Each and every teacher at McDowell cares about their students and will do anything to help them succeed. For example, they will study with you before and after school, during a class or study hall, and during lunch if needed. Overall, McDowell is an amazing place to discover who you are while getting support from the people around you.