McDowell Early College is a highly rated, public school located in Marion, NC. It has 195 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 20 to 1. According to state test scores, 65% of students are at least proficient in math and 75% in reading.
McDowell Early College Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+38 Students
- A-30 Students
- B29 Students
- B+26 Students
- A+25 Students
- B+23 Students
- B-14 Students
- A+13 Students
- B-12 Students
- B11 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 18 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.Take our survey
- We don't have enough responses to know if students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.Take our survey
More opinions are needed!
Write a review to add yours.Review McDowell Early College
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.6 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.6 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.6 responses
McDowell Early College Reviews
Every teacher is there to help you and give you support. They give low-middle class families the chance to get a college degree in addition to their high-school diploma. I couldn't ask for a better school!
I thoroughly enjoy how everyone at McDowell Early College is grown really close (if it's through Summer Bridge, to school activities). However, I do not like how disorganized we are when it comes to the events. At times, we can be very unorganized and no one will know what's going on.
This school is great in comparison to McDowell High School yet it lacks academic rigor, structure, and organization. Although McDowell Early College is providing first generation college students with a free education, the general ed that these high school students are completing is nowhere near the acedemic challenge of most colleges and universities. I believe that this school is certainly inferior with other early colleges, International Baccalaureate schools, high school honors/ap programs, or even some regular high school classes. However, the fact that McDowell Early College has rising enrollment rates in a town with immense poverty shows a desire for education, which is a step in the right direction.