McAlester High School is an above average, public school located in Mcalester, OK. It has 865 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 17 to 1. According to state test scores, 82% of students are at least proficient in math and 79% in reading.
McAlester High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A162 Students
- A142 Students
- B107 Students
- C79 Students
- B78 Students
- B61 Students
- A49 Students
- C+47 Students
- B42 Students
- C+42 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.9 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.17 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.20 responses
McAlester High School Reviews
In 2012 I started my freshman year at Mcalester high school. As a fifteen year old; I was excited yet very nervous about a new school. There were two classes in particular that made me feel "powerful" both classes had freshman threw seniors in them. Band and Yearbook. In band I played the trombone. I wasn't very good at all but my instructors never made me feel less. Yearbook was a laidback class. Nothing was actually a individual grade it was about team work. Yearbook class made me put my self out in the real world and talk to people I live around. Inside these two classes I gained confidence when speaking, self love, and a bit of sass. because of the classes Mcalester high school offered I accepted myself and I found my voice.
I loved being in Band and getting to know many of the other students and form bonds as well and their honors program is amazing. They have great teachers and the students are equally viewed by most teachers. If I could change one thing, I would change the lack of communication between the main office and the students which has been enhanced by the student council but needs more improvement.
To be honest, Mcalester High School brought me so many great memories and led me to meet many great people. The thing I appreciate the most are all of the life lessons it taught me, the good and the bad. I would love to see the environment itself to change. The students aren’t very open and welcoming to people who think more creatively. Everyone deserves to feel important.