Mattoon High School is a public school located in Mattoon, IL. It has 1,047 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 15% of students are at least proficient in math and 38% in reading.
Mattoon High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+120 Students
- B117 Students
- A+75 Students
- B55 Students
- B+45 Students
- B45 Students
- A22 Students
- B20 Students
- A-20 Students
- A19 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.11 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.11 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.20 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.20 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.22 responses
Schools like Mattoon High School
- BCharleston High School
- Charleston Community Unit School District No. 1, IL
- 120 reviews
- B-Sullivan High School
- Sullivan Community Unit School District No. 300, IL
- 21 reviews
- B+Neoga Senior High School
- Neoga Community Unit School District No. 3, IL
- 30 reviews
- B-Windsor Junior/Senior High School
- Windsor Community Unit School District No. 1, IL
- 13 reviews
Mattoon High School Reviews
I believe my high school has grown a lot over the years that I have attended and I would love to see it grow even more. Since we have recently gotten a new principal, the school has been friendlier and it has opened eyes in the school system and community to be kind to one another. I think we can grow even more and be more technologically advanced like some other schools since most kids respond to things like that. But overall I am glad I grew up in such an environment and wish the best for any other student that will attend Mattoon High School.
Mattoon High School has a large and well-funded athletics department, but it falls behind in the field of academics. Many sports are offered, but few extracurriculars are present. State funded programs are decent, but student organizations fall apart quickly due to little support. Funding goes mainly to new computers that are seldom used- despite the fact that our textbooks are falling apart and some ceilings have had leaks for years. The teachers are very friendly and most of them know much about what they teach. This school feels safe and bullying is seldom witnessed. However, many students are insecure about their chances of getting into a college. This is due mainly to poverty in the area, though it can be also attributed to what many students consider a poor education as compared to other schools. Overall, this high school is decent and does not present any major problems, but most students and many teachers feel that the school could be doing better.
My high school has decent teachers that seem to care, but also has some that just want to fail you. I didn’t hate my school, but the environment was more about sports than learning. On top of that there was a lot of bullying and not enough enforcing of the dress code. I would like for the teacher that don’t want to be there, not to teach there. I would also like to see someone do something about the bullying instead of blaming the victim. I would like to see students actually want to be there rather than run out screaming.