Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB-
- Health & SafetyA-
- Resources & FacilitiesC
Mattawan High School is a highly rated, public school located in Mattawan, MI. It has 1,180 students in grades 7-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 57% of students are at least proficient in math and 80% in reading.
Mattawan High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B+620 Students
- A449 Students
- B+385 Students
- B-329 Students
- A+281 Students
- B145 Students
- B-142 Students
- A-100 Students
- A-83 Students
- B-75 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.28 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.28 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.32 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.43 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.43 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.46 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.46 responses
Schools like Mattawan High School
- B+Plainwell High School
- Plainwell Community Schools, MI
- 204 reviews
- A-Vicksburg High School
- Vicksburg Community Schools, MI
- 139 reviews
- APortage Central High School
- Portage Public Schools, MI
- 239 reviews
- BOtsego High School
- Otsego Public Schools, MI
- 152 reviews
Mattawan High School Reviews
Mattawan High School consists of a staff that wants the best for their students. During the pandemic and these challenging times, teachers and administration are doing the impossible to give their students the best education that they can provide. Teachers especially are giving up so many things and having to deal with so many changes to their usual material in order to improve the students' experience this year. This shows the extraordinary teachers and administration at Mattawan High School. Their facilities have allowed students to have hot-spot availability at home, technology availability at home, access to free school lunches, and cleaning facilities to keep the school as safe as possible for those that are choosing to go. At the high school, the PALS program ensures that everyone feels safe in our community, and they provide peer facility as well as adult facility. Overall, Mattawan High School does an amazing job to provide an exceptional academic education.
The students at Mattawan were probably the best part of the school. There were very few teachers who would receive a high rating. Most of the teachers are pretty lazy. Teachers boast about being in the same room for 30 years, but you never see them make an effort to change their lesson plan to keep up with the times. They are bored in their routines, and they do nothing to change it. I had a history teacher who put a movie on that loosely related to the information we were supposed to be learning for half of the year. The academics are highly rated for our area, but this given the choice, I would not choose to go to this high school again. I love my friends that I made there, but the bullying was unreal. Most faculty, especially those whose job it was to prevent and manage bullying, barely helped those who were tormented. The faculty only cared about those who were disabled when it came to bullying, because they were obvious victims. The faculty looked good when helping them
Mattawan is a small, homely, and humble school that boasts a great roster of students that are more than enjoyable to be around. Teaching can be lacking at times, yet there are also teachers who make learning an exciting and pleasing process. The school has to deal with a marginally small budget, but they definitely do their best to dish it out in resources and teaching. The school's culture and students are in my opinion the strongest part of the school. We have a very nice, accepting, and fun base of students who are mostly successful in academics and sports as well as social life. We have a very strong set of students here that I am proud to call my friends, and I only wish I was able to see them more in college.