Massena Senior High School is a public school located in Massena, NY. It has 830 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 92% of students are at least proficient in math and 92% in reading.
Massena Senior High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.5 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.5 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.11 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.14 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.14 responses
Schools like Massena Senior High School
- B-Norwood-Norfolk High School
- Norwood-Norfolk Central School District, NY
- 63 reviews
- B-St. Lawrence High School
- Brasher Falls Central School District, NY
- 34 reviews
- A-Potsdam Senior High School
- Potsdam Central School District, NY
- 17 reviews
- C+Madrid-Waddington Junior/Senior High School
- Madrid-Waddington Central School District, NY
- 9 reviews
Massena Senior High School Reviews
I have attended other schools other than Massena and i can say there is a big difference between my past districts and here. The teachers here excel in relating to the students. The staff/administration puts in a lot of work to keep this school the safest and working at its maximum potential. There is a variety of resources for any student to visit if they need help with something. If their is emotional turmoil in your personal life or your academic life, the guidance office offers a safe place for students to go and ask for help. Massena also provides a well rounded sports community. Athletes are respected and the sports in this district are high thought of. If you are not interested in sports there is also many other clubs and extra curricular activities that one can participate in. All in all, Massena has provided a healthy environment and has given me the proper preparation for life after high school.
Since this is my fourth year in the high school, I have been able to get a better feeling of it. I do like that my school offers IB (International Baccalaureate) courses. I feel as if they have prepared me more for my future while challenging me. I dislike that many of the students in the high school are very juvenile. There are usually quite a few fights every year and a lot of the student body is just downright disrespectful. A lot of the time students don’t get justly punished so they are more inclined to keep doing it. For example, there are many parties that are put on by students in the high school students (including alcohol) and when the parties are busted, the students don’t get punished harshly enough or at all. I don’t feel as though my education has suffered by going to Massena but I don’t think it has been improved either.
I'd say the best health/safety service is the school nurse. If a student has their card identifying what substance they can/cannot take for health concerns, they can take certain OTC medications when they need(want). The nurse is not always in the nurse's office, sometimes leaving volunteers/nurse's aids unsupervised. There is not always face-to-face bullying going on, but cyberbullying, rumors, and open insulting people to others often occur. Searches for contraband almost only happen when an authoritative figure is informed of a possible possession. The only real, constant security measures are having the entrance/exit doors locked from the outside, and having visitors sign in. Some students sell drugs/ make deals and possess or do drugs in school.