Mason City High School Reviews

It wasn’t as challenging as I would like it to be but it had a lot of extracurriculars that many other schools did not have
Mason City High School’s teachers and faculty care about you as a person and your academic journey and want nothing less than to see you succeed in life.
This school has a great focus on a few sports, Special Olympics, and school spirit. Their passion for children who are less fortunate is inspiring, offering free lunch and other supplies. Mason City's choir and band are the best programs of their school, in my opinion. These programs bring kids of all walks of life together. Academics could be better, focusing on the teaching aspect. There are too many teachers who don't enjoy their work, which can be frustrating to the kids. But the teachers who do love their jobs are fantastic teachers and are understanding of kids' situations. Overall, my experience of MCHS was average. Considering the Covid-19 shutdown, MCHS handled the situation pretty well.
Start Your Review of Mason City High School
The teachers do an amazing job of getting students what they need in terms of help and extra assignments if needed. My biggest concern throughout high school was what fights were going to happen or what code was going to be called. There were tons of fights and no resolutions or the wrong resolutions to many of them. There were also times where soaps were removed from bathrooms which was very unsanitary.
The opportunities and options are very open, and many of the elective teachers are willing to work with you so that you have the chance to take their class, the student body is great and the facilities are nice. The only true issue I have with it is the lack of support and flexibility from teachers for students who struggle with school work and mental illness.
What I liked most about Mason City High School was the environment. It was a friendly place to be and I always felt safe. What could change about this High School are the facilities which are slowly improving overtime. They have upgraded their track and football field and their basketball courts. I would like to see a better weight room installed and a strength and conditioning coach to help with our overall athletic performance.
I liked some of the teachers. Some of them were extremely friendly and nice to know. However there were many terrible teachers as well that were never held accountable for their actions. The school feels like a prison, restricting what and when students can do things. It makes it stressful to just be at school.
At Mason City High School I really enjoy the overall atmosphere of the hallways and especially the music wing. Everyone seems to be connected and welcoming. The school tries to be really inclusive to all students which I appreciate, but not all the students try to be involved. What I would change about my high schools is mostly our school spirit about events. There are only a few event I can think of that people aren't excited about or just don't go to. I would like to see a change in the turn outs for every sport that is offered at MCHS. I would also like to see a change in how accepting people are of others. Many kids seem to be very degrading when it comes to people that "aren't normal" and it is really sad to see.
It is your typical high school environment, one thing I really enjoyed about it was the best buddies club and how much emphasize is put on inclusion in the school!!
There were many teachers in and out of the school. Plenty of them seemed like they were just their for the money. The music and history teachers are the best by far because they are passionate.
Mason City High School is in a great small town, with 800 students. We have lots of after school activities and sports teams. Hockey, basketball, softball, baseball, soccer, golf, swimming, volleyball, cross country, track and field, football, wrestling. The hard part is our school is the largest in our area. We have to travel to Des Moines, 2 hours each way. Mason City is competitive with the small schools around us, but not within the capital of Des Moines. We play for the love of our sports!
Some of the teachers care about your education. However you will find that most teachers are pushovers and are more preoccupied with making themselves look better.
I didn't have the best time at MCHS, I would love to see changes, like in techers, because there are not many teachers there who care about the students
Mason City High School does not necessarily prepare students for college or life. Many students are excluded from school for behavior instead of staff working with them to keep behaviors down. Students are not treated in a way that makes them want to go to school.
Mason City High School has a ton of different classes to take. It is great for exploring different things and seeing if you like them. We have many students come from other schools because of our wide range of classes and sports.
I have never really seen any face to face bullying, most people seem to mind there own business. Some of the teachers care about all student, others don't. School games are always very fun to watch since everyone comes together and cheers.
As a freshman, the first day of high school can be intimidating. It becomes even more intimidating when you're a freshman who just moved halfway across the country. After all the typical rumors that come with being the new girl, a few still persisted into the later semester. The problem had only continued to worsen the more I tried ignoring it, so I had to take different measures. I contacted the Dean of Students and had told him about my on going situation, including texts and online proof. The only actions the school decided to take was to talk to the girl(s) on the opposite side of the situation; worsening the problem further more. These problems continued well into my junior year with little to no repercussions. Constantly having to worry about my well being at school made me feel unsafe at an establishment I spent much of my time at and affected my learning process. Student safety should be a top priority for any school and Mason City High School is lacking.
Start Your Review of Mason City High School
Throughout the year the policies loosen up and are not as strict. At first the school wants everyone checking in and out at the attendance office when the come and leave from school but I feel like the policie is not as strict at the end of the year. All the doors are locked throughout the school day but there are students walkkng the halls that let others in and is a normal thing to happen.
The music education is great. The teachers always have their door open and are ready to help, they are also understanding with issues you bring to them. The equipment, curriculum, and facilities were all thought out and are detail oriented. Many students are interested in the music classes and bring a lot of positive attention to our school.
We are all very connected, we may be a big school but we all have school spirit. Our athletics and music are a big reason we are connected, we support eachother.