Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB-
- Clubs & ActivitiesB-
- Health & SafetyC+
- Resources & FacilitiesB-
Mason City High School is a public school located in Mason City, IA. It has 1,017 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 80% of students are at least proficient in math and 69% in reading.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A134 Students
- B133 Students
- A120 Students
- B+106 Students
- A-26 Students
- A25 Students
- B22 Students
- B15 Students
- B-15 Students
- B14 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.9 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 17 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.16 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.18 responses
Schools like Mason City High School
Mason City High School Reviews
This school has a great focus on a few sports, Special Olympics, and school spirit. Their passion for children who are less fortunate is inspiring, offering free lunch and other supplies. Mason City's choir and band are the best programs of their school, in my opinion. These programs bring kids of all walks of life together. Academics could be better, focusing on the teaching aspect. There are too many teachers who don't enjoy their work, which can be frustrating to the kids. But the teachers who do love their jobs are fantastic teachers and are understanding of kids' situations. Overall, my experience of MCHS was average. Considering the Covid-19 shutdown, MCHS handled the situation pretty well.
Mason City High School is in a great small town, with 800 students. We have lots of after school activities and sports teams. Hockey, basketball, softball, baseball, soccer, golf, swimming, volleyball, cross country, track and field, football, wrestling. The hard part is our school is the largest in our area. We have to travel to Des Moines, 2 hours each way. Mason City is competitive with the small schools around us, but not within the capital of Des Moines. We play for the love of our sports!
At Mason City High School I really enjoy the overall atmosphere of the hallways and especially the music wing. Everyone seems to be connected and welcoming. The school tries to be really inclusive to all students which I appreciate, but not all the students try to be involved. What I would change about my high schools is mostly our school spirit about events. There are only a few event I can think of that people aren't excited about or just don't go to. I would like to see a change in the turn outs for every sport that is offered at MCHS. I would also like to see a change in how accepting people are of others. Many kids seem to be very degrading when it comes to people that "aren't normal" and it is really sad to see.