Mason City High School is an above average, public school located in Mason City, IA. It has 1,002 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 18 to 1. According to state test scores, 77% of students are at least proficient in math and 75% in reading.
Mason City High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A108 Students
- B95 Students
- A92 Students
- B+79 Students
- A20 Students
- A20 Students
- B15 Students
- A+13 Students
- A+11 Students
- B-10 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.9 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.9 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.11 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.16 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.16 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.18 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.18 responses
Schools like Mason City High School
Mason City High School Reviews
Mason City High School is in a great small town, with 800 students. We have lots of after school activities and sports teams. Hockey, basketball, softball, baseball, soccer, golf, swimming, volleyball, cross country, track and field, football, wrestling. The hard part is our school is the largest in our area. We have to travel to Des Moines, 2 hours each way. Mason City is competitive with the small schools around us, but not within the capital of Des Moines. We play for the love of our sports!
As a freshman, the first day of high school can be intimidating. It becomes even more intimidating when you're a freshman who just moved halfway across the country. After all the typical rumors that come with being the new girl, a few still persisted into the later semester. The problem had only continued to worsen the more I tried ignoring it, so I had to take different measures. I contacted the Dean of Students and had told him about my on going situation, including texts and online proof. The only actions the school decided to take was to talk to the girl(s) on the opposite side of the situation; worsening the problem further more. These problems continued well into my junior year with little to no repercussions. Constantly having to worry about my well being at school made me feel unsafe at an establishment I spent much of my time at and affected my learning process. Student safety should be a top priority for any school and Mason City High School is lacking.
Some of the teachers care about your education. However you will find that most teachers are pushovers and are more preoccupied with making themselves look better.