Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB+
- Clubs & ActivitiesB
- Health & SafetyA
- Resources & FacilitiesB
Mascoutah High School is an above average, public school located in Mascoutah, IL. It has 1,086 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 16 to 1. According to state test scores, 38% of students are at least proficient in math and 48% in reading.
Mascoutah High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- B147 Students
- C+127 Students
- B-87 Students
- A+79 Students
- A-70 Students
- B+68 Students
- B60 Students
- A53 Students
- B+49 Students
- B-47 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.32 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.32 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 116 responsesReport
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.35 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.42 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.42 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.42 responses
Schools like Mascoutah High School
- AO'Fallon High School
- Public School
- O Fallon, IL
- 483 reviews
- BLebanon High School
- Lebanon Community Unit School District No. 9, IL
- 43 reviews
- B+Belleville High School - West
- Belleville Township High School District No. 201, IL
- 305 reviews
- BOkawville Junior/Senior High School
- West Washington County Community Unit School District No. 10, IL
- 36 reviews
Mascoutah High School Reviews
I had just recently moved to Illinois and started attending Mascoutah High School and it was one of the more welcoming schools that I have been to. Unlike most other schools, Mascoutah has a well-organized military welcoming committee that allows new students to be shown around the school and to their classes. Mascoutah also has a variety of academically challenging classes that offer college credits such as AP Composition, AP Physics, AP US History, etc. While these are important factors of Mascoutah, the part of Mascoutah that I found most unique was its foreign exchange program. Most schools have a foreign exchange program but it is clear that Mascoutah involves them and their cultures more than any other school. Throughout the year Mascoutah has held presentations and assemblies for their students to learn from the foreign exchange students about their countries. Overall, from a student's standpoint, Mascoutah is a diverse, academically challenging, and welcoming school.
As a current senior at Mascoutah High School, I have become continually frustrated and disheartened by the way the school is run. The town of Mascoutah is very local orientated which is disappointing on several levels, especially considering a solid number of students are from Scott AFB. Clubs, teams, and organizations play favorites with locals' children or, even their own. Time and time again students who are less accomplished and/or less fit for a sports position or inclusion in organizations. Not to say military students aren't given chances, they just happen to be in far less quantity than local students and, if a military student messes up they are quickly given up on. Discipline between military and local students also varies greatly. Recently, an African-American faculty member died and a local student made racial comments shortly after his passing and he has been handed no discipline. Inversely, a military student was caught with a phone in the building an given detention.
Mascoutah High School features a very nice environment for learning. With relatively new facilities, the campus is well-maintained. The teachers truly care about their students, and strive to incorporate new ways of learning in and out of the classroom. Students tend to be focused on school and supportive of each other. The administration works to provide for the needs of the student body while also being available to participate in the fun activities high school allows. There are numerous clubs and organizations, with a wide variety of focuses. If the club you want is not there yet, all you have to do is find a teacher to help sponsor your club and receive approval. Overall, MHS allows students a wide variety of opportunities in a safe environment.