Martin L. Nesbitt, Jr. Discovery Academy is a highly rated, public school located in Asheville, NC. It has 389 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 21 to 1. According to state test scores, 5% of students are at least proficient in math and 95% in reading.
Martin L. Nesbitt, Jr. Discovery Academy Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A+72 Students
- A+67 Students
- A-51 Students
- B+47 Students
- B39 Students
- B+23 Students
- A+19 Students
- A+19 Students
- A18 Students
- B+15 Students
Note: School map boundaries may have changed for the current school year so please contact your school district to verify school assignment for your child.
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.7 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.7 responses
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.7 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.7 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.7 responses
Martin L. Nesbitt, Jr. Discovery Academy Reviews
Very hands-on and strong emphasis on teamwork. I loved the family atmosphere of the school! Has a variety of advanced courses and fun engineering classes. Nesbitt Discovery Academy teaches that in order to learn, one must have personal experience and do something with their hands themselves. Through PLTW (Project Lead the Way), many young people will find their true calling in life and learn to be outstanding problem solvers!
My experience at Martin L. Nesbitt Discovery Academy has been outstanding. Their encouragement of family involvement made the application/acceptance process very welcoming. I feel like I am part of a team of like-minded students who are study focused and highly motivated for success. I feel very fortunate to have been accepted to this S.T.E.M. school my Freshman year and have this amazing learning experience from hand selected teachers/instructors who love their jobs as well as their students. My school has provided a challenging, hands-on approach to learning that I will take with me into the future as I work to make a positive difference in this world. Thank you!
I love this school! The teachers are amazing and always available if you need help or someone to talk to. There is also a large selection of clubs and activities, and if you want to do something that doesn’t exist yet you can start it. The community is one of the best parts- almost everyone is friendly, supportive, and excited to learn. I have made friendships that will last forever. Overall this is an amazing school and experience.