Martha Layne Collins High School Reviews

Being apart of Martha Layne Collins has been a great experience for me. I enjoy coming to a school that has such a good atmosphere to learn and grow in. I really like the involvement in sports and being able to branch out and play lacrosse with our rival school, Shelby County High School. Martha Layne Collins has prepared me for life after high school and has shown me that I can do more to further my education. Attending Martha Layne Collins I am given more opportunities to succeed academically and athletically. Overall, this school would be a great fit for anyone.
They are more about the money aspect of running the school versus the students education. This school is one who just wants to look good on paper. Plus the principal is from JCPS and tries to turn the school into like a military school. His announcements are almost 10 minutes long EACH morning.
Had a teacher that bullied me and the administration didn’t believe me. I was kicked out of an after school program because of this issue.
Start Your Review of Martha Layne Collins High School
The teachers are very helpful and work with you to make sure you are learning. There are a lot of hands on opportunity and the atmosphere at the school is one of a family.
Collins was a very nice school overall. They had great sports and education programs and I assume they can only get better with time. The one thing I had a problem with was how they set up their rules. They were very persistent about things that shouldn't matter, such as dress code. If they enforced learning as much as they did the dress code we could be the top school in the state.
Has a nice campus. Would like to see the teachers care more and not just a number I had one teacher that reached out to me and actually showed she cared. Helped me more than the college counselors.
Collins high was the first public school I had been in since elementary and looking back at, it was the best experience of my life. The school was brand new when I started and all the teachers and faculty were exceptional. The high school offered numerous clubs, sports and other activities throughout the year as well as special courses to help student dig deeper into subjects they were interested in. I enjoyed all four years of high school at Collins and would recommend it to every high schooler in Shelby County and Kentucky.
I loved the teachers and the involvement the last few years of my high school experience. Teachers began setting up trips out of the country that turned out to be really good experiences for all the students and teachers involved. They also revised our safety standards the past few years which made me feel safe while I was at school. They followed up with you if you reported any problems and really cared about what was happening. They also improved some of the food options and were trying to get students to try new things. Overall, I enjoyed my high school experience at Collins High School.
I had a fine experience at Collins. I was pretty involved in a lot of things around school. It is a nice school and there are some great teachers and administrators. However it is high school so the culture is not always positive but it wasn’t a horrible expirence for me.
I loved the teachers! Most supportive and caring teachers I’ve ever experienced. Administration was way too concerned about “making everyone college and career ready” they barely punished anyone. Took away our bathroom useage as punishment for the entire school when it should have only punished a small group of students.
every year they try to add more for us to explore. This is great for some while others still don't get what they want. The school is great in its own way but has, flaws.
Collins has gone through 4 principals in 8 years, currently Dr. Joseph Ellison is the Principal. His efforts have been towards helping those student who are struggling by offering more after school tutoring programs, and study hall opportunities. The English department is excellent, Science is lacking, History and Math are okay. Student culture is poor. Its a newly established school that has gone through many administration changes.
Martha Layne Collins High School is a great school. The administration and teachers are very involved and are there to guide you through your 4 years of course work.
It’s a school that is geared for engineer students! So if that’s what you want to do they will give you a lot of attention. Otherwise, they do not give you that much support and the staff has no control of their classrooms.
What I liked about Martha Layne Collins is that the teachers are very helpful and the counselors are great! The teachers and counselors, both go out of their way to help you and make sure that you do good in school. They aren't like any other teachers/counselors at other schools, they show that they believe in you and want to help you succeed.
I like a lot of the teachers that I've had at Martha Layne Collins, but the main issue I see with the school is that things change too often. Every year that I've been at Collins, something has changed, everything from the teachers, the principal, and the class schedule. I would have liked to see more of a constant environment instead of so much chaos that is far from controlled.
Martha Layne Collins High School is as school that takes education serious and do whatever they can to succeed. We have a great system in culinary arts as well as special needs.
Start Your Review of Martha Layne Collins High School
This school is very nice and welcoming! It has helped me grow as a student and I am very thankful for the experiences I have gotten at this school.
The teachers at Martha Layne Collins High school are all really great, and are willing to help any student out, if that means staying after school, or coming in early before school, they are ready to help. However one thing that I would change about Collins is the dress code. Personally I would like it if there was no dress code, because when I am comfortable I am going to pay attention more. If there wasn't a dress code, students wouldn't have to be pulled out of class to fix the violation of dress code.
I liked the classes offered. I was able to better prepare for college. Also offered plenty of learning opportunities for all cultures. The extra-curricular activities offered helped to keep the students engaged in their academics and being successful.