Overall Niche Grade
- College PrepB
- Clubs & ActivitiesC+
- Health & SafetyC
- Resources & FacilitiesC+
Marshalltown High School is a public school located in Marshalltown, IA. It has 1,453 students in grades 9-12 with a student-teacher ratio of 15 to 1. According to state test scores, 71% of students are at least proficient in math and 67% in reading.
Marshalltown High School Rankings
Niche ranks nearly 100,000 schools and districts based on statistics and millions of opinions from students and parents.
Niche users from this school are most interested in the following colleges.
- A297 Students
- A197 Students
- B-195 Students
- B+184 Students
- A47 Students
- B42 Students
- B-36 Students
- B-34 Students
- B31 Students
- B-30 Students
Culture & Safety
Health & Safety
Based on chronic student absenteeism, suspensions/expulsions, and survey responses on the school environment from students and parents.
- of students agree that they feel safe at their school.16 responses
- of students agree that they like their school and feel happy there.16 responses
What are your favorite school events or traditions?
Based on 41 responses
- Pep Rally, Football Games, Wrestling Meets22%
- Home coming, or parade20%
- Band Competions7%
- Speech competitions5%
Based on racial and economic diversity and survey responses on school culture and diversity from students and parents.
Free or Reduced Lunch
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are competitive.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are creative and artsy.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that students at this school are athletic.17 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers give engaging lessons.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers genuinely care about the students.22 responses
- of students and parents agree that the teachers adequately lead and control the classroom.22 responses
Clubs & Activities
Clubs & Activities
Based on student and parent reviews of clubs and activities.
Girls Athletic Participation
Boys Athletic Participation
Expenses Per Student
- of students and parents agree that there are plenty of clubs and organizations for students to get involved in.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that clubs and organizations get the funding they need.25 responses
- of students and parents agree that lots of students participate in clubs and organizations.25 responses
Schools like Marshalltown High School
- C+South Tama County High School
- South Tama County Community School District, IA
- 72 reviews
- BWest Marshall High School
- West Marshall Community School District, IA
- 52 reviews
- B-BCLUW High School
- Bcluw Community School District, IA
- 40 reviews
- BEast Marshall Senior High School
- East Marshall Community School District, IA
- 46 reviews
Marshalltown High School Reviews
I find Marshalltown High School to be a wonderful place. We may not be the best of the best and we may not have things that bigger schools in bigger cities and states may have, but it is more than enough for a wonderful education. With the help of them I have been able to take college classes early in the Freshman year to give me a headstart and I appreciate what they have done for me. Along with an LGBTQ club they have had and while I cannot do it this year because of COVID-19, I found it to be a wonderful and safe environment.
I enjoy the teachers and it's nice being in such a diverse town. They also encourage us to do better and make sure that we're able to graduate. There's a few students I personally know that could care less about their education, cultural background or personal beliefs, so it's somewhat reassuring hearing them get spoken to about what they have planned for their future. They have programs for people that are struggling with school which has been beneficial for some acquaintances. The gyms are very nice and clean, but the older parts of the school don't have air conditioning. Its ritual for students and teachers to complain in groups about the heat, which can become very entertaining if you have one of the more fun and outgoing teachers. They also have handled more serious topics delicately which I appreciate the sentiment to. It's nice seeing people being supported after the tornado damaged our town.
My high school experience isn't the same as others, then again nobody's experience is. I was a loner after switching from school to school, never fitting in. But, all that changed after a little time in the town of Marshalltown. There's so many different groups and cultures blended into the school, which lets anyone adapt quickly. The teachers don't see you as a student or less than them, they treat you like a child of their own and wish for each of their students to succeed like their own. I wish I could tell you everything about my school but that would take pages upon pages. From teachers coming in early to study with you, to students who go out of their way to help you in any situation from a pencil to a project. Marhalltown High School will be one of my favorite places.